ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

BF Princeton Reverb. Add 100 Ohm Heater/Lamp Resistors?

8/30/2003 4:11 AM
Spencer
email
BF Princeton Reverb. Add 100 Ohm Heater/Lamp Resistors?
I have a '67 BF Princeton Reverb (Tube chart AA764, GZ34 Recto)that came bone stock without the pair of 100 Ohm resistors tied to the heater /lamp as shown on the AA1164 layout.  
The amp sounds great but hums a little when I turn the volume past 4.  
I added the 100 Ohm resistors. The hum stopped, but I noticed that the amp now gets very hot to the touch. The chassis, the faceplate, even at idle the PT is almost too hot to touch with a bare hand.  
Plate voltage is 433V at ~20 mA, and remained constant before and after adding the resistors.  
Naturally I prefer the amp with the least amount of hum.  
Is the additional heat anything to be concerned about?  
What are the consequences, if any, of adding 100 Ohm resistors if the amp already has a center tap?  
Thanks.

8/30/2003 3:55 PM
Daver
email

If you add the resistors you need to remove the center tap connection to ground. The resistors form a virtual center tap. It's almost like you're grounding the entire filament winding now. Fix this before you fire up the amp again. This can't be good for the power transformer and is probably the source of your extra heat.  
Daver

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/30/2003 3:58 PM
Mark Lavelle
email

quote:
"Is the additional heat anything to be concerned about? What are the consequences, if any, of adding 100 Ohm resistors if the amp already has a center tap?"
I'm not qualified to say what the consequences are, but everything I've read says you should never have both a center tap and a pair of 100-ohm resistors.  

If the amp is noticeably running hotter, that's a strong indication that you're drawing a lot more current somewhere, and it seems obvious that this change would be the cause. Since Leo wasn't exactly known for over-spec'ing parts I'd worry that you're going to fry your 6.3VAC secondary if you don't disconnect and tape off that center tap...

8/30/2003 4:37 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

The filament suppy is all AC and isolated from chassis ground by the way it's used.  
The center tap of the filament supply has zero volts, hence there no current to ground even if the center tap is grounded.  
The additional current drawn by the grounded 100 ohm resistors across the outside of the 6vct windings is very very low current.  
At about 3.0vac to 3.5vac each and 100ohms,  
3.5v/100ohms = 35ma.  
It adds around 70ma of current drain to the 2a - 2.5a filament supply.  
The resistors aren't really needed if the PT has a decent filament winding center tap and it's grounded but it willl not hurt anything either.  

I suspect as others, you've shorted something else to ground or you just never noticed the heat.  

Bruce

8/30/2003 4:58 PM
Spencer
email

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I tell (by looking at the schematic or the amp) if I presently have a center tap on the heater winding?  
Thanks.

8/30/2003 5:52 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

Out of the power transformer, two green wires and one green with yellow stripe wire that is chassis grounded.  
Bruce

8/31/2003 6:02 AM
Spencer
email

The AA1164 and AA964 layouts show a Red-Yellow wire and a Green-Yellow wire tied together, grounded to the chassis.  
Instead, my amp has a Red-Yellow wire and an solid colored Orange wire tied together, grounded to the chassis.  
Does this offer any clues?  
Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>