ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Gibson GA35RVT

9/14/2003 12:20 PM
Kevin St.Pierre
email
Gibson GA35RVT
I have a Gibson GA35RVT that was given to me because it does not work.Does anyone have any info or mods for this amp,I understand it is comparable to a Deluxe Reverb? Can the Output Tubes be changed to someother type?

9/14/2003 4:41 PM
Les
email

If it's one of the "white face" amps, ('65-'67), phase inversion is done with a transformer and they are notorious for going bad. The output tubes were 7591's and can easily be re-wired to use 6L6's. The schematic is at www.schematicheaven.com.  
I've got 2 GA45RVT's and a GA20RVT, and while these amps are not as good sounding as the Fenders from the same years, they aren't that bad either...  

I think I've got a good set of tranny's from 35RVT, so if it is the PI tranny, let me know, and I'll look for it.  

Les

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

9/14/2003 4:46 PM
Bruce/ Mission Amps
email

Personally, I think they are vastly inferior to many of the amps made during the same time period and are notorious for being a serious pain in the ass to work on.  
IMHO they never really sounded that good anyway and most owners are kidding themselves. :)  
Bruce

9/14/2003 8:50 PM
Les
email

yea i know... i don't really like any of mine... i've gutted the 20RVT to put a princeton circuit in...

9/14/2003 8:51 PM
Les
email

what i don't get is the notch filters... centered right around 400-500Hz... talk about a tone-sucker...

9/15/2003 3:26 AM
Kevin St.Pierre
email

Thanks for the info all-I think the Gibson can wait but I have other amps to repair and would like opinions on which is most likely to be a good guitar amp-here goes  
Traynor YBA 1-works but has problems.  
Kalamazoo Bass30-Haven't tried it yet  
Stromberg Carlson AU57 PA-A great sounding amp but needs multican filtercaps replaced  
Musicman 112 RD30-Just a chassis with a couple switches and transformers.  
An unidentified Gibson-maybe a GA300 here is the tube layout-6EU7 6EU7 12--7A 6EU7 6EU7 6C67 6L6 6L6 OA2 all in a straight line.(below the 6C67 markings on the same tube 6EO7).It has four inputs on the left and on the right two jewel lights Grn and Red with a knob below marked,Off SB ON ON and an input for a footswitch maybe? All function labels are homemade with a label maker.This amp turned on but one of the small trans.started to smoke so I unplugged it.OK I am open to suggestions.

9/15/2003 3:41 AM
Kevin St.Pierre
email

I forgot to mention I also have a Harmony H306C complete chassis with all tubes just need to build a cabinet.Another untried amp.I currently play through a very modified Fender 75.

Page 1 of 1