ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Common Crate VC Problem??

9/2/2003 2:29 AM
Kobbs Common Crate VC Problem??
I've had, currently have, will probably have in the future Crate VC 30's (various models) with what appears to be a common problem, and I'm hoping a common solution. There are the volume ups and downs, however, these tend to be fixed with a major solder joint overhaul... However, what sometimes remains, and I can't seem to find the specific problem, is a hiss/static/low level distortion that creeps in to the sound of the amp after it warms up... I know this is common, but as I stated before, looking to see if anyone knows a common solution... particularly weak cap, dressing, etc. etc.???  

Thanks,  
Kobbs.

9/2/2003 4:37 PM
Jack Collins
email

I don't know the answer to your problem offhand...  

I'd start troubleshooting by pulling the preamp tubes one by one, starting with the ones closest to  
the input and listening for when the static goes  
away.  

Once you've isolated it to a particular stage  
probe with your chopstick, measure voltages etc.  
in that particular area. Give the socket for that  
tube a good cleaning with some deoxit.  

A likely suspect would be a failing plate resitor.

Monday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

9/2/2003 8:06 PM
jeremy
email

check the bypass capacitors, and the caps in the reverb section.  

jeremy

9/3/2003 5:05 AM
Enzo
email

By far THE most common cause of levels being erratic or intermittant on amps in general, is the contacts on the effects loop jacks. Patch a cord from send to return on the loop jacks and see if the sound restores. If so that was the trouble. Clean the contacts or replace the jack. I use a small burnisher on th contacts and almost never have to change the jacks.  

No effects loop? Same test for power amp in jack and preamp out jack.  

ANother thing I see mostly in Crate amps is the amp wanting to switch channels all by it self now and then. This is almost always the footswitch jack. The contacts that close when there is no footswitch get dirty or oxidized and they don't work. Clean them or replace the jack.

9/9/2003 3:52 AM
Kobbs
Thanks for the ideas, escpecially the FX loop, would never even have thought about it... Good idea for the future too, depending on the loop... I had a "similar" problem on a fender (dare I say it out loud) red knob "The Twin", where the loop level switch was full of crud and caused all sorts of eratic problems...  

Thanks, I'll let you know the results...  

Kobbs.

9/13/2003 6:25 PM
Kobbs
Just wanted to thank ENZO as it appears that the effects loop jack is a BIG problem, both in being dirty and solder joints. Greatly appreciated for opening my eyes to the "simple" stuff...  

Kobbs.

Page 1 of 1