ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

MB DC5 repair

7/30/2003 11:08 AM
Chris ( CMW amps )
email
MB DC5 repair
Hi all  

Got a DC5 on the bench with hum/volume-loss .....  
Don't have a layout-drawing so this takes some more time . The plate-current at idle does vary so ....  
- oscillations ?  
- bad bias-supply ?  

Before I did get the amp the reverb-OT was replaced and some solder-joints were solderd again .  

Anyone ? :)  

Chris

8/14/2003 10:59 AM
Chris ( CMW amps )
email

bttt  

:)  

Chris

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/14/2003 1:23 PM
Wild Bill
email

Chris, what do you mean by "vary" with the idle current? Changing slow or fast by itself or after turning a control?  

An oscillation is usually like a constant signal. The idle current would simply be higher because the tube is working harder just like having an input signal. This is tricky because the only indication would be reading a higher bias voltage than you'd expect to bring the idle down to the desired point.  

Does the bias voltage vary? Maybe a bad bias filter but this usually means a constant voltage with bad ripple causing hum.  

A leaky coupling cap would be my first suspect but only after I had checked for poor/intermittent solder joints.  

---Wild Bill

8/14/2003 6:02 PM
Chris ( CMW amps )
email

Hi Wild Bill  

The plate-current ( using the shunt-method ) did change between two values .  
I'll check all the things you did mention ( thanks ! ) , did put this amp "away" 'cause of all other amp-jobs over here .....  

Chris

8/15/2003 1:53 PM
Wild Bill
email

Good luck with it, Chris!  

Another trick that may be helpful in tracking down which stage is generating the oscillation is to measure the voltage drop across the plate resistor. With a 12AX7 usually running 1.5 ma or so you can easily calculate how much voltage will be dropped. If the tube is oscillating you get more drop than you'd expect.  

I've had problems in an early stage drive the later ones exactly as if it was a real signal. You could watch the voltage drop increase as you cranked up the volume, even though you heard nothing because the signal was really an ultrasonic oscillation. If there was no signal applied to the stage you'd expect to see no change in the plate resistor voltage drop at all.  

HTH  

---Wild Bill

8/16/2003 9:17 AM
Chris ( CMW amps )
email

Thanks Wild Bill !  

Most of the amps I do work ( repairing + modding ) on are ptp Fenders and 2 or 4 inputs Marshalls .....  

Have a nice weekend , I'll post the results asap  

Chris

Page 1 of 1