ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Crate Vintage club 50 problem

2/14/2003 9:28 AM
bobm
email
Crate Vintage club 50 problem
hi guys, got one driving me crazy.  

Replaced the output tubes and put in a known set of good pre-amp tubes.  

After about 25-30 min the unit will muffle and some times cut out for a half a second. Sometimes it hiss/crackles for a sec before two to three "muffled" notes and some times the cut out, and then thats it, then it will run ok.(the duration of the practice session)  

Cleaned the channel one/two switch and replaced the switching transistor.  

It uses an opp amp in the reverb ckt and has a few driver transistors. Where should I be looking? Any one have a schematic?  

Thanks Bob

2/14/2003 1:37 PM
jason
I just worked on a friends vintage club 50 with similar symptoms. Half the pots and the input jack had broken solder joints. Damn pc mounted crap.  
Decent sounding amp though.  
jason

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/15/2003 1:14 AM
anonymous
I had checked all that. Re soldered a bunch anyway...but that didn't help. I don't care for that "buzzy" distortion...reverb kinda weak..

2/16/2003 12:10 AM
jason
don't use high gain...don't use reverb

2/15/2003 2:03 PM
Enzo
email

Check the bypass contacts on the effects loop jack. If I recall that one has a single TRS jack for the loop. Take a spare TRS plug and wire the tip to the ring. Plug that into the jack. If sound is restored, the jack is the problem. I keep my shorting plug on the bench to troubleshoot exactly this symptom. A lot of dirty insert jacks show up on mixers too.  

On the jack, you can measure with a meter the resistance across the three sets of contacts. SHould be zero ohms. If it measures over half an ohm, it is dirty and will cause trouble. The circuit still works with a couple ohms resistance, but those ohms are indicative of poor contact.  

If it is not the loop, then signal trace through the amp. APply a signal to the input and see what happens stage to stage - follow with your scope.

2/16/2003 5:14 PM
SLObrain
Check the bypass contacts on the effects loop jack. If I recall that one has a single TRS jack for the loop. Take a spare TRS plug and wire the tip to the ring. Plug that into the jack. If sound is restored, the jack is the problem.  

Ive worked on a few of these as well and seen that exact same problem and the FX jack was the culpret in both cases. Enzos advice is is right on the money :)  

I buy CRC contact cleaner (quick drying formula no#02130)  
from Home Depot for cleaning these jacks and it works well and will NOT melt plastic too.  
SLB

2/16/2003 2:38 AM
Don Symes
email

I know you're looking for VC-specific help, but have you worked your way through R.G.'s magic Tube Amp Debug page? http://www.geofex.com

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>