ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

EF86 Vox AC-30 Mod

9/2/2003 4:18 PM
Howard EF86 Vox AC-30 Mod
Has anyone tried to mod a Vox AC30 Reissue Normal channel using a EF86? (Kinda like the original?)  

thanks,  
Howard

9/5/2003 12:33 PM
Masco
In an AC-30, the Normal channel shares a 12ax7 pre with the Top Boost channel. Since there are two pres in an AC-30(Normal/TB and Vib/trem) one preamp socket would have to be sacrificed or one must be added to accomodate an EF-86. This means trading your TopBoost and Normal channels for the EF-86 or trading your Vib/Trem channel for the EF-86 or using the Normal input hole for an added-on EF-86 somewhere. The later will give you an unused triode, but you could parallel it with the TB triode pre like Matchless did in the HC-30 if you don't want to waste it.  

I think someone in England is actually making an EF-86 add-on module for a fourth channel.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

9/5/2003 5:23 PM
Dutch
email

quote:
"The later will give you an unused triode, but you could parallel it with the TB triode pre like Matchless did in the HC-30 if you don't want to waste it."

Or, you could use it as a direct-coupled cathode follower with the EF86 and gain the ability to drive lower impedance loads, like a tone stack or what-have-you, with no loss of gain. Heck, even with just the usual 500k volume pot, you'd regain some gain due to not loading the pentode down.... :D  

C ya,  
Dutch

9/14/2003 9:25 PM
Masco
Yeah, Duch I hear you! I was thinking on even experimenting with an ECF80 (pentode/triode in one envelope) to accomplish that very circuit. Of course it will be replacing the 9 pin EF-86.  
Ever try one of those?

9/16/2003 2:29 PM
Dutch
email

quote:
"Ever try one of those?"

No, but I do have a 6AN8 lying about that I did this with at one time. Worked like a charm!  

C ya,  
Dutch

9/25/2003 8:21 PM
Ian Anderson
email

I modded my AC30 to have the EF86 frontend and like it alot, it's got more mids than the topboost version, but it's hard to get non-microphonic EF86s (unless you pay alot for them)  

One thing I've been meaning to try is to add the topboost tonestack after the EF86 for mega-gain, might be fun.  

... Ian :)

9/26/2003 5:37 PM
Dutch
email

Hey Ian--  
Howzitgoin? How's that 6V6 amp with the EF86 working out? :)  

I finally broke down and got an EF86 from Lord Valve to pay with, but have been busier than a one-armed paper hanger since it arrived, and so it sits.... I've been using my little Marshall 18 clone in the meantime, slaved with a dummy load in the FX loop of my Hafler HellRazor preamp, and have been having a blast with it. It sounds really good through my stereo power amp and pair of AlNiCo Blue Dogs--I finally got a second Blue Dog so I could use 'em with my stereo rig and retire the **heavy** 150W Mesa Black Shadows I'd been using. Hopefully soon I'll get some time to build that EF86/6V6 thingie that you so heartily recommended in the Knight KM15 chassis I have hanging around....  

If it works out as good as your glowing reports suggest it should, I'm going to do a ground-up build in a 2U rack-mount chassis with two switchable channels: an AC15 channel and a Dumble ODS channel, feeding opposite sides of an AC15 style PI and running into a pair of cathode-biased 7591As in UL through a Heyboer 18W Hygrade clone OT I picked up in January or thereabouts (for a ground-up Marshall 18 build I was contemplating at the time), to replace the HellRazor and Marshall 18 clone. If I end up not liking the EF86 AC15 pre, I'll use the Marshall 18 pre instead, since I already know what it sounds like and that I like it.  

C ya,  
Dutch

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>