ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Taming the mids - Ampeg Reverberocket

5/22/2003 4:40 PM
Ted
email
Taming the mids - Ampeg Reverberocket
I have a '64 Reverberocket that is way too midrangy sounding. Any mods that can be made to the tonestack that will help this? A little more bass or lower mids would be nice too. Here's the schematic for the amp:  

http://members.aol.com/portaflex/schems/r-12-rb.gif

5/28/2003 1:22 PM
Man o'Blues
These came with a C12R or a CTS alnico speaker - both of which have weak low end, probably due to the wimpy magnet structures. I would try a Weber C12NQ or C12NT for mo' bass without losing highs.

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/28/2003 4:45 PM
Ted
email

This one has a CTS speaker with an ampeg label on it. I'm not sure if it's alnico or not. It's got kind of a horseshoe shaped cover on the back that's closed in on both sides. I actually like the sound of this speaker quite a bit.

5/28/2003 4:41 PM
Ted
email

Nevermind, I figured it out on my own. In case anybody cares, it was just a matter of changing the .002uf cap in the tone stack to a .022uf cap. The amp now sound much fatter and is not so piercing in the mids.

Page 1 of 1