ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

octal tube preamp ideas wanted...

4/12/2004 12:51 AM
Ian Anderson
email
octal tube preamp ideas wanted...
I'm wanting to build a new amp with some octal preamp tubes - just something different. Want medium 'rock' type gain (2203 type would be enough) and a master volume. Anyone have experiences, tips or schematics they'd care to share?  

Cheers... Ian :)

4/12/2004 1:58 AM
Enzo
email

You can be different and also pretty much the same. 6SN7 and 6SL7 are common dual triodes in octal. Use them essentially like a 12AU7 and a 12AX7. The circuit around them would be about the same. Use any 12AX7 type preamp circuits you like but build with the larger tubes.  

Look near the rear of the RCA book for a section called Resistance coupled amplifiers. There are charts of common tube types and typical component values used in the circuits.

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/12/2004 1:24 PM
Ian Anderson
email

So I can use these octal preamp tubes with the exact same circuit as say, a JTM45?  

... Ian :)

4/12/2004 9:25 PM
Trace - Voodoo Amps
email

I've built many amps using octal tubes and have experimented a lot. The best octals I've found for what you are looking to build would be the RCA black base 6SL7. They sound great and handle gain better than most. You can only squeeze so much gain out of them before you get noise issues though.  

Good luck & have fun! :)  
Trace

4/12/2004 9:49 PM
Ian Anderson
email

Cheers Trace, you da man!!! :D  

... Ian :)

4/12/2004 10:46 PM
Trace - Voodoo Amps
email

[b]Cheers Trace, you da man!!! ... Ian [/b]  

I appreciate the kind words my friend but I'm certainly not the man! (ha, ha) I'm glad I was able to be helpful though.  

Have a good time building!  
Trace

4/14/2004 6:21 PM
anonymous
Trace,  

A couple of years ago I found a nice deal locally on some NOS GE short bottle, silver top 6SL7s; I haven't had a chance to build anything with them yet but I did test about 10 of them (of 20) in a 1953 Sano (essentially an Ampeg BassAmp w/tremolo) and found that a few were microphonic, a few were noisy, and most were fine.  

Have you had any expereince with the GE 6SL7's?  

Thanks,  
Craig

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>