ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

good use for 6sn7

1/29/2004 3:07 AM
stan
email
good use for 6sn7
I have become a bit bored with 12ax7s, so I picked up a handful of NOS 6sn7's (they were cheap). And of course now I am wonding if I can put these to use in a new project. Can someone point me to a fat/clean preamp design using this tube?  
thanks.

1/30/2004 4:04 AM
danf
email

Hi Stan  

Gibson used 6SN7's in some early amps (the BR-9 ? - not sure, I'll have to check the schematics). Also, I think some early Ampeg amps. I'm using 6SN7's as the preamp tube in two old mono audio amps. When I was wiring them up I looked into some guitar and audio amps that used them.  

Dan

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/30/2004 7:48 AM
stan
email

Thanks for the reply Dan. I have looked at a bunch of old schematics, and I have seen the ampeg schematic using the 6sn7 (and a few other schematics), but it seems that this tube was used for phase-inverters or to drive a reverb tank, rather than as a straight ahead gain stage. I'll go hunting through Gibson schematics now...thanks for the tip.

1/30/2004 3:18 PM
Andy
email

the 6SL7 is far more useful as a gain stage, since it has a voltage gain of about 70, while the 6SN7 is only about 20

1/30/2004 3:56 PM
bruce
email

Stan,  
The Gibson BR-9 I once owned had a 6SN7 as the pre-amp with a xfmr PI driving PP 6V6's.  
Very clean sounding amp. As previously noted, I tried a 6SL7 and the amp had a lot more grind.  
bruce

1/30/2004 4:41 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

I've used a couple 6SN7s as power tubes in small low power SE and push pull amp...they sounded great!  

Bruce

1/30/2004 6:38 PM
Jim C.
email

I've got an old Gibson GA50T that I got in highschool back in the 60's. It has a 6SN7 for the phase inverter driving a pair of 6l6's for the final stage. The preamps are 6SJ7's. That sure is a sweet old amp! To my ears, the 6SJ7's and 6SN7's sound smoother and less "gainy" (if that's even a word) than the 12ax7's do in my Deluxe Reverb. But there are a lot of ckt. differances between those two amps too. The old amps with the 6s::'s made great jazz amps!

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>