ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

No CT on PT, how to lower B+ ????

1/15/2004 9:28 PM
Ian Anderson
email
No CT on PT, how to lower B+ ????
Got a Laney PA head that is eating EL34s (600v on the plates). I want to bring the B+ down to around 500v for reliability but I don't think the PT has a CT. Anyone got any ideas on how to lower the B+ in this situation?  

Would I be able to get away with the high plate voltage if I lower the screen voltage alot by creating a lower-voltage node off the HT rail?  

Cheers... Ian :)

1/15/2004 9:41 PM
Andy
email

You have several options. you could try a choke-input filter, if you don't have one already. this will drop the voltage to some extent. another thing you could try is one or several 100v zeners in parallel, cathodes facing the rectifier. this would drop your overall supply voltage by about 100 volts. short of doing those mods, another thing you might try is dropping the bias current through the tubes. this will always make them last longer, and allows them to tolerate higher plate voltages.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/15/2004 11:04 PM
hasserl
email

Better make those zeners about 10 watts, eh? Wouldn't be a bad idea to heat sink them too.

1/16/2004 12:40 AM
Don Symes
email

Uhh ... diodes don't parallel well ... unless you put a 10-ohm resistor in series with each.  

Orrrrr... a 120:120VAC transformer set up to 'buck' your HV secondary down by 120V. See R.G.Keen's Vintage Voltage Adapter for some explanation.  

http://www.geofex.com  

HTH!

1/15/2004 9:48 PM
jaysg
email

quote:
"want to bring the B+ down to around 500v for reliability but I don't think the PT has a CT."
Is it a bridge? If so, the BA zener goes at the ground connection.

1/16/2004 12:35 PM
Ian Anderson
email

I've got some 63v/5w stud-mount zeners - could I use them? 63v would probably be sufficient btw.  

The transformer idea is a good one, but I'd prefer to keep the cost down if possible (a few zeners sound £best to me)  

... Ian :)

1/16/2004 1:45 PM
Dave H
email

It's got four EL34s hasn't it? If so it would draw 400mA flat out. That's 400mA x 63V = 25W in that 5W zener. A string of 10V or less 5W zeners would do it but a bucking transformer is probably a better bet in a 100W amp (less heat). It would only cost about £10 but the simplest thing to do is to use the zeners to lower the screen voltage like Steve suggested. They won’t get too hot with only the screen current through them.  

Dave

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>