ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

push pull front end (again)

12/16/2003 10:47 PM
Kalen
email
push pull front end (again)
a while ago there was a thread here about using a balanced design. someone mentioned driving a push pull input stage straight from the guitar without a phase inverter. i was wondering if you could do this without changing the wiring in the guitar, and would it be a safety hazard if the guitar is not grounded?

12/17/2003 12:55 PM
kg
you cannot do it without modifications to the guitar itself. you need a balanced signal output from the guitar, which mandates either a phase splitter on board, or a pickup that has a +, -, and ground connections. obviously you will also need a three conductor cable.  

ken

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/17/2003 5:44 PM
anonymous
Sounds like a cool op amp application. Not in the guitar though - better to do it at the amp front end.  
You could power the op amp(s) with the heater supply.

12/17/2003 6:04 PM
dpcoyle
email

It can also be done with a bal-un xfmr.  

Dan

12/17/2003 7:20 PM
andy fuchs
email

I always thought a centertapped pickup coil into a balanced input circuit would be wicked-cool.

12/18/2003 3:44 PM
Shea
email

quote:
"I always thought a centertapped pickup coil into a balanced input circuit would be wicked-cool."

Is that how Les Paul set up his personal guitars? I know he says he uses "low impendance pickups," and he needs to run a preamp in front of his regular amp because of it.  

Gibson had a model of Les Paul for a couple of years that had the same sort of pickups, but it didn't sell too well. I think it was the Artist series.  

Shea

12/17/2003 8:19 PM
kalen
email

why would you need a center tap? couldnt you just RC couple the signal end to the grid of one tube and the ground to the grid of another tube?  
what am i missing here?

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>