ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Changing Power Supply of tube amp to 220volts

12/2/2003 9:58 AM
Ken
email
Changing Power Supply of tube amp to 220volts
Hey there guys,  
have a quick question.  
i bought my amp in the US and it runs at 110-120v 60hz for the power.  

is it possible to change it to 220-240v power? or will it totally screw the amp up?  
thanks,  

Ken

12/2/2003 11:56 AM
Chris ( CMW amps )
email

Hi Ken  

If the powertransformer does have other primary taps then it must be possible , sometimes there's a selector on the back or inside of the amp , sometimes some wires and a fuse need to be altered and sometimes .... it ain't possible ( so you have to use an external step-down-transformer ) .  

What amp do you have ?  

Kindest regards from "the dutch 230 Volts" :)  

Chris

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/2/2003 12:12 PM
Ken
email

i ahve a Crate Blue Voodoo 60 combo amp.  
its 1x12.  

hmm, well the manual didnt mention anything about the power transformer but im hoping its possible coz its my favorite amp  

Ken

12/2/2003 12:36 PM
Chris ( CMW amps )
email

Hi Ken  

I can understand !  
Don't have experience with your type of amp , hope some fellow Ampagers do know and/or try contacting Crate/St.LouisMusic ( don't know about their customer-service ) .  

Chris

12/2/2003 12:48 PM
Magamps
email

Ken, I agree with Chris. Rather than try and do an conversion, first contact Crate and see if the offer a dual primary power transformer.  
Mike

12/2/2003 3:34 PM
Tom Phillips
Ken,  
The Crate amps sold in the US may or may not have a universal primary power transformer installed. However, the universal primary PTs are available for all the amps and the price for a replacement (if you need it) should be reasonable. When SLM ships a replacement PT they always seem to send one with a universal primary even if the amp was originally shipped with only a 120V primary. The leads all connect with push on connectors and the PCB includes all the lugs needed to configure for the common line voltages. If your PT has only a black and a white primary leads then its 120V only. If it also has blue, brown, gray and violet leads then you have the export transformer with the universal primary and you can configure it for 240V operation. I don't have a Crate Model Name / Model Number cross reference so if you tell me the Blue Voodoo 60 "Model Number" I can probably find a schematic to email you. That will show you how to configure the taps.  
Tom

12/2/2003 10:25 PM
Ken
email

hey there tom,  
there isnt a model number listed. just a serial number.  
its a crate blue voodoo 60 combo amp. its 1x12, 60 watts.  

thanks again

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>