ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Silvertone 1483

11/18/2003 5:48 PM
Drew Silvertone 1483
A pair of 6L6 feed a cabinet with a big 15in jensen. Why is there a choke across the speaker (and OT secondary)? Could you eliminate the choke and run two speakers in parallel? What is the purpose of the choke?

11/18/2003 7:08 PM
ewnorton
email

Is this a bass amp? Could the choke have a purpose in a bass amp?

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/19/2003 1:47 PM
Drew
Yes. I believe it is a bass amp.

11/19/2003 3:01 PM
Wild Bill
email

Drew, are you absolutely certain it's a choke?  

A choke seems odd to me if run in parallel to a speaker. Inductors look like a low value short to bass frequencies and a higher resistance to treble, in a curve determined by the choke's value. Why would they bypass bass frequencies?  

I could see a choke used as some kind of impedance matching/power soak device. I could also understand if it were a higher-value resistor used as a no-load protection device.  

If it really is a choke are there any markings on it to indicate its value?  

---Wild Bill

11/19/2003 3:27 PM
Magamps
email

Bill,  
I found a schematic link on Duncan's page...yep...it is a choke across the voice coil.  
Mike

11/19/2003 8:58 PM
Drew
The amp belongs to a relitive of mine, don't have it in my possesion, but from what I remember the choke was mounted in the cab - I didn't have much light, but it was about as big as my thumb, 14-16awg w/ ferite core or slug. Not too many turns, so I would imagine the DC resistance is pretty low.  
Someone on this site built a homebrew with one of these (Chris B.?), I might want to ask him some q's.  

Thanks.

11/19/2003 8:30 PM
Chris ( CMW amps )
email

Hi Drew  

Just did check the schematic and "it does look weird" :) .  
The choke would cancel lows , can you measure the dc-resistance ?  

Chris

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>