ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Foot switchable clipper circuit

9/23/2003 2:19 PM
BillnShell
email
Foot switchable clipper circuit
Yes, I went and used the dreaded "C" word..  

I was thinking the simplicity of making a clipper circuit switchable might make it an interesting experiment on my Plexi clone. I've got room on the board to add the diodes right after the mixer resistors, and could run the diode's ground to the extra speaker jack, where I could use my old Fender single footswitch to make/break the ground path.  

So, my questions are, is this workable, and what effect if any would the long cable length of the footswitch have on the diode's operation? Would there be any transient effects while switching that might need to be overcome?  

Bill

9/23/2003 8:21 PM
kg
email

hey bill.. try it with a switch first to see if you like the effect!  

i would rather use a relay, because i don't think your signal path should go outside of the chassis.  

jm2c  
ken

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

9/24/2003 12:32 AM
BillnShell
email

Hi Ken,  

Yea, I figured I'd do just that and see what transpires before moving it to the floor. Although were talking just a ground path out and back, I too was a little aprehensive in what might get into the signal on the way. The amp turned out much cleaner than I expected, very fat tone, but little in the way of grind.. The voltages are all right in the ballpark. I thought mabey I'd utilize the clean sound and switch in the clipper for raunch at will :)  

BTW, been meaning to ask you about ride5000, Whats it about?  

Bill

9/24/2003 12:11 PM
kg
email

hey bill,  

it's in the ground path if it's closed.  

if it's open, then you have the whole run out to your footswitch acting like a big antenna!  

ride is an acronym for the rhode island department of education. they provide email accounts for teachers free of charge. since i am a network administrator for a public school district, i am in charge of distributing them. i picked a nice even number for myself. ;)  

in the past people have asked me if i ride motorcycles. i have, and used to own one, but not now, and haven't ridden one in about 4 or 5 years. :( maybe one day i will have a bike again...  

ken

9/24/2003 6:09 AM
Enzo
email

You are talking a ground path out and back, but it is not a ground path any more when the switch is open, it becomes a long antenna connected right to the signal path then. I agree you should use a relay - or some equivalent like an LDR or a FET.

9/26/2003 7:03 AM
BillnShell
email

Hi Guys,  

Got called away to S.F. for work for a couple of days, Thanx for the responses. I'm ditching the clipper idea.. The amp is cleaner than my first hopes, but sounds so sweet, I just ain't gonna mess with it for now..  

Bill

9/30/2003 1:08 AM
jeremy
email

try out those resistors yet? wanna know how you like em?  

jeremy

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>