ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

EL34's that can handle it

7/6/2003 11:46 PM
Nathan
email
EL34's that can handle it
Just finished an amp that runs about 495 volts to the power tubes (matched Electro-harmonics EL34's). I'm getting some ugly distortion. Could some one recommend some reasonably priced EL34's that can handle heavy voltages.  

thanks  

Nathan

7/6/2003 11:59 PM
Satamax
email

EL 34 should be able to cope with 800 volts. Are you sure you've biassed right?  

Best regards.  

Max.

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

7/7/2003 12:28 AM
Richie
email

i think the 800v rating can be misleading.  
To run them that high there is more you have to do.  
but in what your posting,any of the current made tubes should be able to handle the plate voltage.  
The EH are suposed to run 600V in more of a way a guitar amp is set up,with the screen voltage.  
Then again, any tube will have to have the biased checked,and depends on how you run the tube.  
Heres the data on the Svet.  
http://www.svetlana.com/graphics/products/pdf/EL34.pdf  
Richie

7/7/2003 9:40 AM
pef
email

Sorry Richie but the EH EL34 are rated to :  

plate voltage, 800 volts  
cathode current , 150 mA  
plate dissipation, 25 watts  
Screen voltage , 425 volts  
screen dissipation, 7.5 watts  

it's the MAXIMAM value.  

maximum grid circuit resistor;  

fixed bias, 100 K.ohms  
self bias, 0.5 M.ohms.

7/7/2003 1:03 PM
Satamax
email

Absolute maximum plate voltage on EL 34 for 0 mA is 2000 volts!  

Best regards.  

Max.

7/7/2003 4:45 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

[QUOTE]Sorry Richie but the EH EL34 are rated to :  

plate voltage, 800 volts  
cathode current , 150 mA  
plate dissipation, 25 watts  
Screen voltage , 425 volts  
screen dissipation, 7.5 watts... etc.[/QUOTE]  

Sorry, but here's where my hard experience has the upper hand.  
Regardless of what specs you have, after blowing up +13 tubes in 32 matched pairs, I personally have NEVER been able to get a set of EL34EHs to last more then a few hours with plate voltages above 495!  
They absolutely sucked at high voltages and high output.  

Bruce

7/8/2003 3:29 AM
Richie
email

I posted below too to explain.. But  
I got the 600V from talking to EH tech. When these were first coming out, they told me they had tested them at that voltage,and ran with no problems.So i wasn't going by there data sheets.. Just what they told me.  

Richie

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>