ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Help with bizarre problem

6/17/2003 12:05 PM
drewl Help with bizarre problem
hi, I have a Peavey Ultra 100w (similiar to 5150) with 120hz coming through the output tranny.amp had a blown screen res. you'd think power supply filter caps right?  
well, I replaced them, here's what's weird....the ac is on the output tranny center tap, or right after diode bridge, well if you disconnect the tranny, the ac goes away. the diodes seem good because they are rectifying the ac.  
i was going to jumper in a new output tranny to see if that's the cause.  
I disconnected all ribbon cables to output tube board (yuch!) and jumpered the B+ and the noise is still there. but only with output tranny connected.  
Tranny ohms out okay, but under voltage....who knows.

6/17/2003 1:03 PM
dpcoyle
email

If there is AC after the rectifiers why do yu think they are good?  

Dan

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/17/2003 3:21 PM
drewl
They're fine without the load (output tranny center tap), plus i jumpered in 2 new ones.  
unless they're crapping out under load or the other 2 in the bridge are bad.  
it's probably something stupid (like me) but I'm just trying to rule out the tranny.

6/17/2003 5:30 PM
M Cook
email

I would check each diode in the rectifier. It sounds like one or more is open.  

Michael :)

6/17/2003 5:41 PM
tommy
email
Blown screen resistor? Did you replace the tubes?
Usually a shorted screen causes a blown screen resistor.  

Check tubes. One is probably dead and causing an imbalance of primary DC current which allows you to hear the ripple on the power supply.  

Chris

6/17/2003 6:06 PM
drewl
The ripple (more like a pure ac sinewave) is present without the power tubes installed.  
thanks for suggestions, it'll have to wait til i get home to look at it again.  
the pisser is there's no ac there without tranny connected, as soon as it is the ripple comes back.  
somethings definitely breaking down, cause as i was bringing ac up w/variac it was holding until ac in got to be about 30volts or so.

6/18/2003 6:58 AM
Enzo
email
Re: Help with bizarre problem
Check your tranny for shorts between the primary and secondary, or between primary and the frame.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>