ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

What to do with two pre-tubes and four EL84s

5/2/2003 11:58 AM
Chris ( CMW amps )
email
What to do with two pre-tubes and four EL84s
Hi all  

Just did purchase an old Eko SuperDuke amp . Right now the amp does have two 12AX7s and four EL84s , cathode biased and about 350 Volts on the plates . Two inputs and 3 controls .  

I'm looking for some suggestions for a nice project using this amp . Gotto check out if it's possible to add another 12AX7 but maybe some fellow Ampagers do have some great ideas about this new project .  
I can also rebuild it to a PaisleyRoyal 30 amp with an EF86 pre-amp but I'm also looking for other options .  

tia & have a nice weekend !  

Chris

5/2/2003 12:34 PM
Richie{~}==:::
email

On our 18 watt group, they have some offshoots of the 18. You could do a lite channel with no trem..They also have an EF86 style preamp.Only difference would be running 4xEL84 instead of 2.  

Lots of options out there..  

Richie

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/2/2003 12:58 PM
Chris ( CMW amps )
email
thanks / EF86 suggestions
Thanks Richie , cool 18 Watt forum !  

Re-uilding an amp with four EL84s i.o. two ain't no porblem . Did try a couple of pre-amps in an EL84 pp-amp like the '59 VOX AC15 , Matchless Spitfire and a Fender Blackface . Right now I do really like the '60 AC15/EF86 pre with a few tweaks ; fat , punchy and very dynamic .  

Guess I'm gonna build a VOX AC30/4 ( like the early ones with an EF86 pre ) .  

I'm also looking for some EF86s suggestions , during building & tweaking I did use some UOS Philips ones and my new Ruby ones are coming in in a few weeks .  

Just did try the Eko : tone-stack sucks ( can cause icepicky highs ) but there's a nice chunky tone in that OT .  

Chris

5/2/2003 3:07 PM
MBSetzer
email

The first thing that comes to mind is a Vibrochamp.  

I like the idea of substituting 4 parallel EL84's for the 6V6 power tube. Too bad you have a PP OPT.  

Still I would probably not make up my mind completely about that chassis until after I had tried a cathode biased quad of EL84 with a Vibrochamp preamp.  

Mike

5/2/2003 3:38 PM
Chris ( CMW amps )
email

Mike ,  

wicked idea !!! Really have to try it with a hefty SE-OT . This (pp)OT must be pretty good and due to some constructing/groundloop weirdness I've to rebuild this amp anyway .  
If I do wanna use the Vibrochamp tremolo-circuit I've to add another 12AX7 .  

have a nice & rockin' weekend !  

Chris

5/2/2003 5:00 PM
PhilipMorrison
email

Chris  

Didn't you already make an EF86/15w? Why not make "big brother" or what about a 5E3(incl. cathodyne PI) with a 30w power section.  

Philip

5/2/2003 5:15 PM
Chris ( CMW amps )
email

Hi Philip  

Yep , did make a 15 Watt with EF86 pre and a 30 Watt version would be way cool too . Did ask for suggestions 'cause they're always welcome !  
The "British 5E3" idea looks cool too and with just two inputs it does match the stock frontpanel-layout from this amp .  

have a nice & rockin' weekend !  

Chris

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>