ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Danelectro Commando!! Any info?

4/23/2003 10:42 PM
rooster Danelectro Commando!! Any info?
Had a request last night from a gent in a local blues band to see if I could duplicate a Danelectro Commando. All I've found on it is that it was a head unit with (2) 4x8" speaker cabs, ran (4) 6V6's, and a couple 12AX7's. Does anyone know of an online schematic for this beastie?  

Thanks in advance.  

rooster.

4/23/2003 10:54 PM
Adam A.
email

I'd never heard of it before, so I did a google search and found this page:  

http://www.harmonicamasterclass.com/vintage_amps.htm  

While it doesn't have a schematic, it does have a great photo and some tube info -- "5Y3, 4x6V6, 6SJ7, 6SN7 and 2x12AX7s", it says.. The beast was hinged and opened up like a suitcase! Very funky.

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/23/2003 10:56 PM
Adam A.
email

OK, finding that picture got me interested -- here's some more info I found, a scan of a catalog page. Here's what it said:  

http://www.matmon.com/atomic/page7.jpg  

"This amplifier employs the multi-speaker principle. Dual cabinet has four 8" speakers in each section, for a total of 8 speakers. The combined effect of all speakers operating in unison produces a more powerful tone with greater clarity than conventional amplifiers. A two tube preamplifier is built into the control panel. Total number of tubes: ?. Watts output: 30. Two independent input channels, each with 3 inputs and its own set of controls for volume, bass, treble. Cabinet halves separate easily to permit remote speaker operation. 25' of speaker cable included [emphasis mine --A]. Electronic vibrato with two controls. Remote vibrato cable included. 22" wide x 22" high x 10" deep when closed. 38 lbs."

Yowza, baby! I bet it sounds really cool.

4/23/2003 10:58 PM
rooster
Hopefully, someone will have a schematic for this, or maybe 2nite I'll e-mail the "justradios.com" site. Since this amp dates back to the '50's, they may be the people.  

Thanks.  

rooster.

4/24/2003 3:22 AM
John Martin
email

I have a Commando in my restoration queue. Its been over a year since I looked inside, but what appears to be the same amp is listed in THE TUBE AMP BOOK, 4th edition, page 664. Shown as "Wards Airline Model GDR-8518A. Many of those Danelectro circuits are very clever in their economic use of components. One thing I remember was that the brand of 6SN7 made a difference.  

JM

4/24/2003 7:01 PM
rooster Thanks for the help! Any others?
Thanks to these kind replies, it looks like I can get the schematic from the Wards Airline GDR-8518A. So, I'll probably be buying the "Tube amp book vol. 4" this weekend for the schematic.  

Unless anyone else knows where it may be posted?...  

rooster.

4/25/2003 5:29 AM
Steve A.
email

Rooster:  

Hey I scanned it for you:  

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/misc_amp/dano_commando.gif  

Kinda interesting how the 12AX7 filaments are powered by the cathodes of the 6V6's... ;)  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. Here's a request: I used to have a Dano piggyback amp- the amp head could be tucked away in the bottom of the speaker cab which had three 8 inch speakers. I bought the amp used for Christmas 1968 and it had reverb and tremelo (the reverb control was independent of the volume control so you could get a 100% wet signal going to the power amp (which was something like 30 or 40 watts IIRC). Just getting the model name and/or number for this amp would be cool; getting a schematic for it would be even better. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>