ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Amp Possibly Stolen From US Mail ?

4/22/2003 7:52 PM
Doug Shaw (not Doug S)
email
Amp Possibly Stolen From US Mail ?
Please bear with me. Perhaps the idle current in my paranoia grid is running too hot.  

About two weeks ago I took delivery on a new Kendrick GigRig. Its a tweed 1X12 (blue Fane Alnico), volume, bass, treble controls, reverb.  

On April 10, I shipped it back to the factory for repairs to damage most likely caused by myself.  

It has not yet arrived at Kendrick and the post office cannot find it (so far).  

PLEASE... IF ANY OF YOU AMP TECHS, AMP GURUS, ETC., ENCOUNTER A BRAND NEW KENDRICK GIGRIG IN NEED OF REPAIR... PLEASE QUESTION THE CUSTOMER.  

These amps are all new, only a handful have been built, and its quite unlikely that any of the first owners have sold any of them yet.  

Unfortunately there are no serial numbers on these amps. Some ways to identify mine would be by the repairs needed (possibly an arced OP trans, one or more arced tube sockets, new rectifier, one or more new power tubes, possibly some resistors or caps, maybe some melted wiring, in other words way too much repair required for a brand new amp), the fact that the tweed does not fit PERFECTLY on the front top and bottom (slight "bulges" that you can see but probably not feel) is also a clue.  

Additionally, since these amps are probably all somewhat slightly different, look for a reverb pan NOT in a bag but with two white foam rubber strips across the top of the pan which itself is mounted on rubber grommets. The first preamp tube was an RCA 7025, the outputs were Sovtek 6L6WXT, and I think the rectifier was Chinese and/or RUBY brand, but not sure.  

"Volume" ( or "Vol" ) is etched into the chassis next to the knob. The Bass and Treble controls are marked with a piece of silver/gray tape with "Bass" and "Treble" typed on the tape. It is the type that will stick very tightly to the chassis and the back edge of it is slightly peeled up (by me). Also, it is difficult to plug a cord into the jack nearest the corner of the amp cabinet because the edge of the cabinet is too close to the input jack.  

Anyway, if you encounter a new Kendrick GigRig in need of repair as described above PLEASE check into how this individual acquired this amp.  

Because these amps are so new, it is unlikely any of them have been resold yet by the original owners.  

ANYONE IN POSSESSION OF A KENDRICK GIGRIG SHOULD BE ABLE TO PRODUCE A FACTORY INVOICE, OTHERWISE THEIR OWNERSHIP IS VERY SUSPECT.  

Even a second owner, if he or she did not receive the factory invoice in the sale transaction should be able to identify the individual from whom purchased, and that individual should have the invoice.  

I will post a follow up message when or if this amp is found.  

Thank you.  

Doug Shaw (who is probably totally paranoid and jumping the gun on this issue).

4/23/2003 12:44 AM
wayne
email
which brings us to...
Since most of us are not large manufactures stamping serials on the chassis whats a good way to denote ownership?  

On all my nice moutain bikes I put my name and number w/a little note stating that if wayne isnt the guy brinnging it in its stolen inside the bottom bracket, those of you familiar w/bikes know that it req's a spec tool to pull these things and is hard to seperate the from the bike. After I got a $3800.00 bike back this way and buying and selling these things on ebay I always check the BB's for owner ship.  

maybe theres something like this for amps?  

wayne  

ps sorry man

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/23/2003 2:03 AM
Doug Shaw (not Doug S)
email

Thanks, Wayne. I really hope I'm paranoid and "jumping the gun" but its not real encouraging that the Post Office can't find it. You can bet that from now on even my guitars will have some kind of identifying markings etched into them.  
Lots of amp techs read this board so I'm hoping that maybe it will wind up in one of their shops.  
There is also the possibility that (if it really has been stolen) that maybe the theif will sell it and the new owner might ship it to Kendrick for repairs. Glad you got your expensive bike back!!  

Doug

4/23/2003 2:08 AM
Doug Shaw (not Doug S)
email
Re: Amp Possibly Stolen From US Mail ?
I don't know why my email address is not showing up in my messages. It is dks@paonline.com so if anyone spots a "suspicious" GigRig please drop me a note. Thanks.  

Doug

4/23/2003 2:18 AM
Dave Rice
email

First off, my heart goes out to you; I've lost gear before (though not in the mail)and it sucks. Hopefully you are just jumping the gun, though I don't blame you for being worried. Also I've heard lots of good things about the Kendrick stuff. However, based on your descriptiuon of the amp:"...arced OP trans, one or more arced tube sockets, new rectifier, one or more new power tubes, possibly some resistors or caps, maybe some melted wiring, in other words way too much repair required for a brand new amp), the fact that the tweed does not fit PERFECTLY on the front top and bottom (slight "bulges" that you can see but probably not feel) is also a clue...reverb pan NOT in a bag but with two white foam rubber strips across the top of the pan which itself is mounted on rubber grommets. "Volume" ( or "Vol" ) is etched into the chassis next to the knob. The Bass and Treble controls are marked with a piece of silver/gray tape with "Bass" and "Treble" typed on the tape. It is the type that will stick very tightly to the chassis and the back edge of it is slightly peeled up (by me). Also, it is difficult to plug a cord into the jack nearest the corner of the amp cabinet because the edge of the cabinet is too close to the input jack."

4/23/2003 2:28 AM
SLObrain
Doug,  
I hope for your sake you paid for insurance as using the US mail is iffy sometimes.  
Did you have confirmation of delivery on this item?  

When dealing with any shipper insurance and delivery confirmation is a must.  

Ive gotten burned before so now I play it safe even though that can be a bit expensive.  

I hope things turn out ok for you, they might just be late on delivery.  

SLB

4/23/2003 3:17 AM
Doug Shaw (not Doug S)
email

Oh, man, this is the really sad part. It was a really busy day at the Post Office. I asked for insurance and thought I had it. I DO have a delivery confirmation number but NO insurance. I guess the clerk misunderstood me in all the confusion and I didn't check my receipts, etc., closely. Thought I had insurance but I don't. Rest assured I will NEVER make that mistake again. If it was insured for loss I wouldn't be a bit worried. I've shipped lots of amps and guitars and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS insure them.  

"Lucky" indeed (see Dave's post).  

Doug

Page 1 of 5 Next> Last Page>>