ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Slo Supplies?

6/21/2003 2:32 PM
Joe N.
email
Slo Supplies?
Okay, I'm finally going to get off my ass and turn those two piece of shit 5150's I have, into real slo's. I might make one opto version, and one relay version. now my question: Where do I get that bare buss wire that they use on the preamp tube heaters, and the pots, and what gauge?, and also what gauge of wire do you other slo builders use on the preamp and poweramp tubes. I want to get as close as I can to what they use at Soldano.  
Joe N.

6/21/2003 5:35 PM
Jeff
email

Just wanted to say that you should not use bare buss wire on the heaters -- that would be a no no....  

See ya  
Jeff

Monday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/21/2003 5:49 PM
Joe N.
email

all the slo pictures, unless I'm mistaken, show what looks to me like bare buss for the heaters on the preamp tubes.  
Joe N.

6/21/2003 6:17 PM
MBSetzer
email

Tektronix used a similar bare wire heater bus for their tubed equipment when possible, the sockets have to be at the proper angle to slide the wire straight through, it is a little more difficult to service since if you ever need to remove a socket, you will have to clip the bus at that point, but when reassembled reliability was not a problem.  

Mike

6/21/2003 7:13 PM
Bob DeRosa
email

Using bare heater wire is just asking for trouble and I can't think of a single reason to do it.

6/21/2003 7:42 PM
Joe N.
email

Getting back to the heart of the matter. what gauges do you guys prefer for preamp, and poweramp. What's a good quality type of pvc coated to get. I've been using cheap stuff.  
Joe N.

6/21/2003 10:05 PM
Rick Erickson
email

I'm sure Mouser has plated buss wire in various gages. Soldano uses Teflon tubing to insulate the wires. I recommend you do the same. I like the cleanliness of the sockets when they are harnessed this way. If you ever need to replace a socket you clip the top of the socket terminals, not the wires! Do the same with the replacement, slip the wires into place, bend the terminals back to their original shape and solder. The only reason I can think of to not do the preamp tubes with buss wire is possible hum pickup do to the wires not being twisted together. I don't know if this is really a big issue in a guitar amp though. You'd have to try it and see.  
As for gages, I'd say #16 or #18 for the heaters and #20-22 for everything else.  

RE

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>