ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

6SL7/6SN7 vs 12AX7

6/4/2003 4:52 PM
Alvin_Maiden 6SL7/6SN7 vs 12AX7
Are there any real tone differences bewteen using 6sl7/6sn7 vs 12ax7's? I've heard that the sn/sl's give a warmer tone. Is that true? Anybody do some comparisons directly to a 12ax7?

6/4/2003 7:37 PM
Le Basseur
email

IMHO,if I could,I'd ALLWAYS replace the entire 12A*7 series with octals,even with some older locktals (6N7,7N7,etc).  
No matter how precious or "boutique" samples are,the 12A*7 series cannot compare with the most average octal.From the high-end point of view,this is maybe the decisive factor when someone is choosing the topology,(by comparison,12a*7's sound dull and lifeless),and,contrary to someone's belief,this is clearly heard in instrument amplification too.  
Be aware,though,that using directly a 6SL7 instead of a 12AX7 it's not the best move.The two tubes are different in every aspect,and the first thing is you'll have a mu of only 70 with the SL,instead of mu 100 with the 12AX7.You could substitute a 5751 with a 6SL7,though....  
Anyway,consulting a tube catalog and comparing the different spec tube datas will give you the (almost) complete picture!

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/4/2003 9:16 PM
Chris ( CMW amps )
email

Didn't switch from 12AX7 to 6SL7 but I did use 6SL7s in a couple of amps and they're great ; very wide and dynamic sounding if you can get some nice sounding ones . Gain is less then a 12AX7 but the TONE .....  

Chris

6/4/2003 9:53 PM
Alvin_Maiden How about 6DJ8's?
Any comments on 6DJ8 compared to octals or 12AX7's? Seems lots of audio gurus like them for some reason.

6/4/2003 10:07 PM
Le Basseur
email

A big YES for the 6922/ECC88/6DJ8 family!  
Again,it's a medium-mu triode,so be wise.  
The "audio gurus" you mentioned like this tube because has a respectable transconductance,a low internal resistance,it's an "over 10 mA tube",and it's very transparent and detailed.And it's enough reilable,even in some weird application.  
If your hunger for gain (=mu) it's not so great,give them a try!  
.....and then try the REAL thing:5687!

6/5/2003 4:26 AM
Josh
email
Re: 6SL7/6SN7 vs 12AX7
I prefer the 6SL7s too. They have a nicer bass response, smoother sound, fatter overdrive. They are not for high gain as they can be microphonic if you drive them really hard.  

I actually sell adapters for using the 6SL7 in a 12AX7 slot.  
Here is a link to a pic:  

http://electrosonicamplifiers.com/otherproductsservices.htm  

Josh

6/5/2003 2:51 PM
hasserl
email

This is good! In a thread not too long ago someone posted info about an adapter to use 12A_7 tubes in place of the octals. LOL Now we get info about an adapter to go the other way!  

Anyway, I am putting together an amp now using a 6SL7 as the PI, so, I'll see how it works in that application. It was good to know about the 9 pin adapter, but it's just as good to know about your octal adapter. Thanks Josh.  

hasse

Page 1 of 5 Next> Last Page>>