ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

5150 plate resistors

4/24/2003 7:00 PM
Joe N.
email
5150 plate resistors
I Know some of you have tried this. How does the 5150 sound with 100K Plate resistors, instead of the 220K's  
Joe N.

4/25/2003 12:33 AM
KB
email

Joe you still playing with that 5150 ? Well the 100k's tone it down but it doesn't kill the hiss or ocean sound. It does help though but you have to be careful because if you knock it down to much it starts messing with the phase inverter signal and gets a starved sound and kills your volume. I'll tell you what really helps this amp is to put a hush in the loop or any noise gate and it will work wonders.,  

KB

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/25/2003 1:28 AM
Joe N.
email

Yeah, actually, I just slo'd the 5150, but i'm not sure if I'm satisfied with the sound. It sounds pretty similar to the 5150, but a lot warmer(probably because it is properly biased), and a little less gain, not bad sounding at all. I was actually expecting a different sound though. I was looking for a lot of gain, but refined, with a lot of clairity. The Slo seems to be more raw sounding. I should have known better, they are both practically the same amp. Noise isn't really the issue, it's more tone that I'm concerned about. I've tried the Bogner circuit, whci didn't really do the trick. Maybe VHT, but you can't get the schems.  
Joe N.

4/25/2003 1:30 PM
KB
email

I agree about the raw sound and that's the first thing I noticed. You may try a better output tranny. I used the Marshall Drake old 100 out of a 2203 but an OEI would do real nice too.,  

KB

4/26/2003 9:27 PM
Joe N.
email

I've been trying to design my own high gain circuit, but It is a lot of work, and experimentation. I read a post that you were involved in Kerry. Something about Cathode followers after the gain stages. I also noticed that the marshall 30th anniversary used three in a row, sometime back. I remember I thought it was odd, but never really thought anymore about it. I didn't think that the low voltage from the cathode would be significant enough to slam the next stage's grid into overdrive, but that amp does have alot of gain.  
Joe N.

4/27/2003 6:25 PM
KB
email

Well according to Kevin and in TUT2, this technique was a scheme to increase tube count as a sales tactic. That's why I said I didn't really see the need in between stages and maybe there is some majic there as far as soft clipping and it kinda makes sense when the tube is close to cutoff but hey I could do that with clipping diodes and a series resistor to simulate the AC plate resistance and accomplish the almost same thing. The flip side is when driving tone stacks they are good and may be the majic there for Marshall but I simply haven't done enough experimenting with them in between to give a definitive answer because I use tubes for gain unless it's for driving a tone stack like in so many amps on the market. Maybe someone like Ray who I know has done some experimenting with has more details and of course Kevin.,  

KB

4/28/2003 7:19 PM
Joe N.
email

For A Sales Tactic! What a Waste. It just makes that amp more expensive for consumers in both the initial sale, and in retubing cost. I own a H&K Triamp, thank god I haven't had to re-tube it yet. Actually The best sounding amp I own is a red 2203. The only mod I would do to it would be to add an effects loop. Marshall actually re-issued it (as first a Zach Wylde signature), and now recently as just a plain old JCM800 2203. it goes for two plus grand. You can get an original for 500$ I think they did add an effects loop to the circuit though. They also have a new 1959slp with a loop.  
Joe N.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>