ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Eminence V12 speaker your thoughts?

4/1/2003 3:47 AM
SLObrain Eminence V12 speaker your thoughts?
Well I just purchase one of these Eminence V12 speakers that are the Eminence version of a Celestion vintage 30 and Im not sure if I like it or not. Seems to have that speaker cry every one talks about.  
It does have that vintage sorta marshall sound but a bit mid honkin. Good for playing KISS songs :)  

SLB  

Any one use these??? What are your thoughts on the sounds

4/1/2003 4:20 PM
Matt
I put one in a homemade closed-back 2x12 but the other speaker is not a V12 (it's actually one of the Carvin British Series speakers that were made by Eminence). I have cranked my 50-watt Plexi through this cab and haven't noticed any cone cry. I ended up selling several Webers that I had tried because I couldn't stand the cone cry (even though they sounded great otherwise).  

I agree that it is a bit "honky" in the mids which is why I paired it with a speaker that has good bass but not excessive/extended highs. I'm a big fan of mixing speakers but maybe that's because I can never seem to find ONE speaker that I really love.  

HTH  

Matt

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/1/2003 6:27 PM
PhilipMorrison
email

Guys  

Mixing speakers is the bomb! No question about it! They seem to cover for each other's inefficiencies & make a better sounding cabinet.  

Is the V12 the Eminence version of the EH-VR8(or16) which is made by Eminence & re-labelled for EH. If so it's the old Eminence BR8 &, although I thought it was modeled after the vintage 30, Bruce Collins said he thought they were modeled after the greenbacks instead.  

If he's correct, & they have that sound, you could save some bucks going with the EH.  

Philip

4/1/2003 8:39 PM
Mitch
P.M., I thought it was modeled after the vintage 30, Bruce Collins said he thought they were modeled after the greenbacks instead.  

I think the Eminence V12 legend is modeled after the greenback as it sounds more like the vintage 25 watt greenback as opposed to a vintage 30.  

The V12 has a mid honk only similar to the greenback so I think there has to be a another  
eminence that should be the vintage 30 style and not the V12. But I wonder which it would really be?  

Mitch

4/1/2003 10:38 PM
n8b
I have a pair of v12 and vintage 30's and I don't think they sound anything alike. The v12 had more bass and less character while the vintage 30's are a little more honky in the mids. Also, the v12's don't breakup the same. I think the v12 is supposed to be a version of the vintage 30, and the gb12 is a version of the greenback, but i've heard that the gb12 and greenback really don't sound alike either. Eminence speakers don't sound bad, but they are not a cheaper version of a celestion.

4/7/2003 6:00 PM
SLObrain
Well I do have an 8 ohm celestion silver series 60 watter that I might try to pair it with to see if it sounds better. on the V12 the mids are smooth but the bass is kinda flubby. I wonder if breaking it in will cure the flubby bass?  
I haven't bought a new speaker in years and this was the first so Ive kinda forgot about the breakin period :D  

SLB

4/2/2003 3:48 AM
LFOscalator
The only Celestion speaker I ever used that I didn't like was the Vintage 30. Just doesn't sound as good as a greenback to me. Maybe your Eminence is a good repro of the 30, but maybe the 30's tone is the problem. On the other hand, many people love and buy 'em.  

LFO

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>