ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

FC2 vs FD2

12/30/2002 1:31 PM
Joe D
email
FC2 vs FD2
A few years ago I built a Fullclone 2. It was my first attempt at builing a pedal & it came out suprisingly well. It has been my workhorse.  
Never laid my hands on the realdeal untill yesterday. A friend got one of the custom ones for CHRISTmas.  
WOW! Only got to play with it for a few minutes, but, I really like what I heard.  
It seemed a lot clearer/crisper than the clone & the boost was less muddy. I tried it in all 3 positions (flat mids, comp cut, & vintage).  
So, is it time to do some tweaks, & if so where do I start?  
Or just forget it & scour e-bay?  
Thanks,  
Joe

12/31/2002 5:37 AM
Ima Kidding
I've always liked the FD2 better than the clones, and really, aren't all OD's with a "Boost" really FD2 clones when it comes right down to it?  
My Gawd....Banzai, Dualtone, Tonepump,New Rising Sun, etc etc etc.

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/31/2002 11:08 AM
Joe D
email

Yeah, looks like I'm gonna just get one.  
The deal was back when I built it-  
A- I wanted to learn & the challenge thing.  
B- Not a Fulltone product to be found anywhere around here. Nothing! Couldn't justify the 'gamble'.  
It's not like I live in the sticks. I'm in Philly! The 3rd (maybe 4th)largest city in the USA. All you can find around here is Boss, DOD, Dunlop, Dano etc. Generic stuff at every store.

1/10/2003 9:40 PM
U.R. Kidding
****aren't all OD's with a "Boost" really FD2 clones****  

bwwaaahahahahahaha!!!!!  

aren't all fulltone products really clones when it comes right down to it?  

have a nice day, etc etc etc.

1/13/2003 1:07 AM
Heeza Jellus
email

(titter titter, yuck yuck)

3/1/2003 5:35 AM
swt
hey Joe!!. There are schem from fulltones posted right now. But if you want to know...the comp is made by lifting the diodes. The flat mids can be achieved by playing with the cap and resitor in the feedback loop. And if you really want a crispy/crystal tone, change the tantalum caps to mylar or metal, the tiny ones and play with the 1k resitor after stage 1. The caps make a really improvement just for themselves. Let me know what you find.

Page 1 of 1