ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Wah mod for variable Q?

12/20/2002 12:31 PM
Joe D
email
Wah mod for variable Q?
Are the mods out there for this?  

And  

Do I want to do it?  

Thanks,  
Joe

12/21/2002 12:55 AM
griff
email

If yours is the crybaby style wah, there is a resistor across the inductor. Varying the value of this resistor varies the Q (if i remember correctly)  

You'll have to tell us what pedal you want to mod.  

griff

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/21/2002 2:07 PM
Joe D
email

It's the GCB-95.  
Sounds like it's just 4 more resistors & a 5 way rotary to me.

12/21/2002 8:20 PM
Skreddy
email

quote:
"Sounds like it's just 4 more resistors & a 5 way rotary to me."
Better idea: ONE 100k pot. Take out the 33k resistor between the leads on the inductor and wire up the pot as a variable resistor. I drilled a hole and mounted mine on the side of the pedal. I usually keep it right about halfway, but it's nice to be able to tweek it if I want to.  

Another useful mod would be to vary center/resonant frequency. A variable capacitor (two parallel caps with one in series with a variable resistor) in place of the cap in the feedback loop between the emitter of Q2 and the base of Q1 would work nicely. Don't understand why anyone would prefer a rotary with presets and all those extra parts to a continuously variable pot.  

One more thing; increasing the input cap (in the range of x2 to x5) of course would let more bass in.

12/25/2002 10:33 AM
Alex D.
Have you seen this page?- http://www.green-fuz.freeserve.co.uk/wah.html

12/27/2002 7:07 PM
Joe D
email

Sure have.  
Tried a few of the mods there & put it back.  
Just wanted to give something a try. I really like my wah, just bored. :)

Page 1 of 1