ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Needing to mod my SD-1/808 to have more bass

9/27/2002 8:09 PM
Charles
email
Needing to mod my SD-1/808 to have more bass
I've already modded my SD-1 to TS808 specs but now I'm want to add MORE bass,what do I have to do ? ~Thanks

10/10/2002 4:39 PM
Matt
I recently put a .15 cap in place of the .047 cap in the Jekyll-side of my Jekyll & Hyde (which is supposed to emulate a TS-808). When I traced the circuit, it looked very, very close to a TS except the 4.7k input resistor and .047 input cap were in reverse order (they are in series). This is explained in an article I read called "Flat Response for Tube Screamers" or words to that effect (can't remember where I saw the article, try the usual stompbox sites). But it made a very noticeable difference. It's not so honky, middy, and grainy. It also noticeably increased the drive (which you may not want). Big improvement to an already decent sounding box. Now I just gotta figure out how to reduce the bass boost on the Hyde-side a tad.  

PS - I'm not sure if the cap TYPE makes a difference here. I bought my .15 cap at an electronics surplus store and it looks like a chrome cc resistor (about 1/2 watt size) and no telling how old it is.  

HTH  

Matt

Monday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/31/2002 10:13 PM
Ben N
email

Check out Plate to Plate (link at Aron's site, maybe here too). He has a mod that flattens out the frequency response as you lower the gain, so that as a booster, it isn't tinny anymore, but it still has the midrange hump when used as an overdrive.

Page 1 of 1