ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Have any of you heard of a "Dr. Blade" distortion pedal?

2/5/2003 3:22 PM
Dean Owens
email
Have any of you heard of a "Dr. Blade" distortion pedal?
i recently went for a visit to my mom's house and pulled out an old milk crate of mine that was full of chords and pedals i used to use. i spent last night going through all of them and cleaning them up.  

one of them is a Dr. Blade distortion pedal. from memory this is a heavy metal type of pedal. my only probablem is, i had taken the power chord out of it about 10 years ago and put it in a bag. now i don't know how to hook it back up. any info on how do to this would be great.  

- this is a big pedal - about twice as wide and tall as a boss pedal.  
- it has a tube in it - looks like a 12AX7 type but there is no writing on it.  
- it also has a transformer of some type in it. it looks like a small output tranny - maybe an inch tall, and 1 1/2 inches wide and long. the tranny has four wires coming from it, two orange and two red.  
- it only uses a 2 prong chord but the chord is made so it can only go one way in the wall.  
- i don't remember the name of the company.  

anything you have will be appreciated

2/10/2003 8:03 PM
DeanOwens Can you please tell me how to hook up the power chord?
i guess that's the main question. i don't really care if you've heard of it. i just want to make sure i don't hook it up wrong and hurt the pedal or most importantly - myself

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/12/2003 1:38 PM
Mark Hammer
There is some ambiguous info in your posting. You note that there is only one way to plug in the cord, but also are requesting information about correctly plugging it in. I'm baffled, or maybe I just missed something.  

Is your question about connecting an AC power cord from the wall to the unit itself? Is there an on-board power supply or is there some type of wall-wart external supply?

2/13/2003 3:59 AM
turkey
don't you mean cord?

2/13/2003 2:30 PM
Mike Burgundy
email

I think I get the question. The wall-plug is made so it only goes into the wall one way - do you guys have those sockets with a big earth pin protruding from them as in Belgium perhaps?  
Anyway, if you've taken off the powercord (detached it from the pedal), and don't know how and where to connect it, don't. Mains is dangerous.  
If you've clipped it off, just solder it, or preferably a NEW one, neatly to where the stumps were left. Polarity doesn't matter since this is AC (Alternating Current) - your VCR doesn't work differently when you plug in the powercord the other way, right? DO (!!!) solder the ground connection correctly as well, and remember to correctly install a pull-protection thingy to prevent the cord from wearing through or breaking internally. This can cause anything from a dead pedal through fire to electrocution.  
If you are in any doubt whatsoever, don't muck about with mains. Instead, supply us with more information, perhaps pictures, and we'll see what we can do.

2/14/2003 12:29 AM
Skreddy
email

quote:
"Polarity doesn't matter since this is AC (Alternating Current) - your VCR doesn't work differently when you plug in the powercord the other way, right?"
Well, yes and no. They make those American plugs ones with a bigger left side prong for a reason. There really is a difference between the two legs of an AC mains supply, although most applications treat them both as if they were hot...  

From http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/why_grounding.html ...  
[QUOTE]Today's modern (US.) mains cable consists of three separate wires: black, white, and green. The green wire is always connected to the large ground pin on the plug, and the other (green) end connected to the chassis of the equipment. The black wire is always considered to be the "hot wire," and as such, is always the leg which is connected to the switch and fuse. The white wire is always the neutral or common wire.  

European coloring is a little bit different. The ground wire is here green wire with yellow stripe. Neutral wire is blue. Live wire in Brown (additional colors for the live wires used in 3 phase systems are black and black with white stripe).  

Any modification of the above 3 wire mains system completely eliminates the protection given by the three wire configuration. The integrity of the separate ground path is also directly related to the quality of the receptacle and the wiring system in the building itself.  

The neutral (grounded conductor) must be solidly connected (bonded) to the home's ground system at the first disconnect (main panel). This keeps large voltage differences from developing between the neutral and ground. [/QUOTE]

2/14/2003 1:40 PM
Mike Burgundy Re: Can you please tell me how to hook up the power chor
Naturally there is a difference between hot and cold ("0") connections - although there have been (now redundant) systems that used two hot wires of opposite polarity (so 230VAC was composed of two 115VAC lines with 180 degree phase difference). That one was a bit of a shock when I encountered it ;)  
I know of no apparatus for home use that can actually distinguish between the hot and cold wire (one-phase systems!), and I couldn't think of any reason why they should exist. The only application where this is relevant is in safety measures built into the electrical system of your house.  
FYI - in Europe, a black wire is also a switching wire (switching the neutral connections) in regular one-phase systems.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>