ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Need Suggetions on new Amp

3/25/2004 8:16 PM
A, Walker
email
Need Suggetions on new Amp
HI,  
I have built several amps including the 5E3, and I know this is the 5E3 forum, but I need suggestions on a new amp. I have a '66 Bandmaster stripped down chassis and I can build alot of different type amps in this chassis. I just cant decide what to build. This chassis has no parts or tannys, just bare.  
I trust you guys on this forum because you have been a great help in the past. Do you have any Ideas?  

Thanks,  
Tony

3/26/2004 1:08 AM
Steve L
email

I vote for a Marshall 18 Watter  
I hope to build one of them someday, but I am a newbie, with only 1 build under my belt (a 5e3 of course).

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/26/2004 2:16 AM
Maccabee
I'm just getting ready for my first build and I'm going between the 5E3 Circuit and the 18 Watt Lite II  

CR ><>

3/26/2004 3:27 AM
Steve L
email

Someone advised me that the 5e3 was a better choice for a first build. I was considering the AX84 High Octane, and the 18 watter. He told me that the since the HO gnerated more gain, it would be more prone to noise and therefore harder to debug. I would assume the same is true of the 18 watter, but I am not certain. I can tell you that building the 5e3 proved to be a very reasonable first build, and quite satisfying.

3/26/2004 4:00 AM
Maccabee
"Someone advised me that the 5e3 was a better choice for a first build. I was considering the AX84 High Octane, and the 18 watter. He told me that the since the HO gnerated more gain, it would be more prone to noise and therefore harder to debug. I would assume the same is true of the 18 watter, but I am not certain. I can tell you that building the 5e3 proved to be a very reasonable first build, and quite satisfying."  

Steve;  

Thanks Man. I appreciate it. I don't know about the Lite II version of the 18 Watt having more gain than the 5E3 though. The 5E3 has enough gain to satisfy just about everyone besides a metal head. :D  

I love both the Drive of the 5E3 and the Plexi. They just sound different.  

CR ><>

3/26/2004 4:25 AM
A, Walker
email

I have already built a Fender 5E3, a Matchless DC30,and a Matchless Spitfire. I am looking at this moment at either the Fender 5E8-A combined with a 6G15 reverb, or a 5F6A with 6G15 reverb. I would have to drill a couple of extra holes here and there with either of these designs. These would be mounted in a Super reverb type cabinet with either 4-10 inch speakers or two twelves. This would also be a heavy amp as the reverb and amp would be independent of each other.  
Please feel free to give me your input.  
Thanks  
Tony

3/26/2004 1:52 PM
AndyH
email

I am having similar thoughts. I have just built a 5E3 (thanks, Bruce) and enjoyed it so much that I now want to build something else that I can use for gigging. I just love the sound of 5E3, and can't decide whether to build 1) a 5F6/5E7 sized amp 2) a Double Deluxe or 3) another 5E3 so I can double up when necessary.  

My 5E3 blows the socks off my pal's 60w Marshall !  

Andy

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>