ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

5E3 Volume Taper?

5/26/2002 6:28 PM
Spencer
email
5E3 Volume Taper?
My 5E3 has litte or no clean headroom. With the volume on '2' the amp is at full tilt. Increasing the volume adds dirt, but not much.  
Do all 5E3 Deluxes behave this way? The amp sounds great, but a little clean on the way to grit would be nice.  
Thanks.

5/26/2002 7:19 PM
Tom S.
email

No that's normal. At least mine doesnt behave that way. You sure you have the correct value pot and that it's wired correctly?  

Tom

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/26/2002 10:05 PM
Jeff H
email

I can't speak for an original Fender tweed Deluxe, but the kit I built also pretty much comes full on at 2. Your speaker choice will have some effect on clean headroom, I use a Weber P12N. You can also adjust the volume of the unused channel to about 9 or 10 for more clean, around 6 or 7 for less clean (more mids). You can also turn back the guitar's volume knobs. Good luck. Jeff

5/27/2002 4:14 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

The volume controls on the tweed Deluxe are wired kind of backwards from other amps. They are VERY sensitive to rotation.  
Most amps have their volume control's pot wipers connected to the grid of the next stage(s).  
That acts like a variable grid load for the next stage. With the volume control set very low, it also sends the output of the first stage to ground while killing the "possible" output of the next stage by have an extremely low gird load resistance, and, the signal still has to go through a huge resistance to get the follwing stage. I'm sure that gives the whole thing more control the a Deluxe has but there isn't an easy way to end up with just one tone control if you do it this way... see the brown face 6G3 Deluxe..  
The tweed Deluxe has it's volume control's "wipers" connected to the output of the first stages and the following stage is running FLAT OUT by having it's grid load connected to the top of the top of the pots. That's 1M in parallel with the other 1M pot, or 500K total.  

Also, I think the audio tapers of modern pots are different then pots from the late 50's so it's even worse.  
Try soldering a 470k resistor from the wiper to the grounded lug on each pot to slow the response a little bit.  

Bruce

10/20/2002 1:46 PM
Bruce J
email

Well I can defnitely say that my amp is full on with the volume around 1 3/4-2 then it just gets dirtier. I thought I had done something wrong also but am glad to know that is just how it is. I have been using my Boss CS-2 compressor and just by lowering the level on the pedal it feeds the amp less signal and cleans up well. Just a suggestion as I have been happy this way without grabbing my soldering iron.

10/21/2002 5:08 PM
Mike Cressey
email

I in the process of building a 5E3 so I can't speak about it. However, my old Hot Rod Deluxe was the same way, i.e., at 1 1/2 it was too loud already. I sold it for that reason and got a Super Champ.  

I can't wait to get this Tweed Deluxe working!

11/3/2002 6:48 PM
Mike
email

Hi, I've been plugging into the bright channel, turning the NORMAL volume all the way up (or almost all the way- a very dark, muddy sound here), and then bringing up the bright channel volume until it brightens the sound to where I like it (usually around 5-6). I like just a slight touch of crunch in my clean sound, and this seems to be the spot on my amp that gets it. I use a Les Paul Standard DC with stock HB's. Sometimes I've run the bright volume up to 8-9, then turned my guitar volume back until it cleans up. This allows me that nice crunchy lead tone. Hope this helps. This doesn't work with the channels jumped together. Mike

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>