ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

"SQ tube" ?

2/20/2001 3:31 AM
steve
email
"SQ tube" ?
http://www.vintec-audio.de/index_E.htm  

The link above will take you to the website for a new "all tube" recording console. That alone could probably be the subject for a few hundred posts on this newsgroup, but right now I'm only curious about the "SQ tube" that the manufacturer uses in this design. This tube type is used for every application within the console, all 26 tubes in every input channel! (that comes to well over 1,000 tubes for most console sizes to be offered.)  

What is an "SQ" tube?  

steve  
sjp@soca.com

2/20/2001 3:54 AM
Dave R
email
Re: "SQ tube" ?
Holy crap! What does something like that cost?!?

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/20/2001 5:35 AM
Todd Hepler
email

Geez!  
1200 tubes ?  

This would make a great space heater..  

It looks like the 'sq' tubes are just JAN 5751,  
which are, I believe, industrial-duty 12AX7's. At least that's as close as I could come from the photos.They are GE and say 'made in usa' on 'em.  

if that's true, where'd these guys score several thousand NOS 5751's ?  

T

2/20/2001 8:05 PM
mod
email

i wouldnt buy it, pcb doesnt look easy to mod :D  
seriously that thing looks super cool!

2/20/2001 8:32 PM
Graywater
email

Well, I'm befuddled! Is the tube description so seriously muddled from German that it's nonsense or is the description the excrement of an advertising moron? And I quote:  

"A stronger "underheating" makes the tube susceptible to toxications, while "overheating" causes an evaporation of the active layer. This might cause gridemission and produces intermediate-layers on the surface of the Cathode SQ-Tubes are equipped with special "High Durability Cathodes".  

Of course, not only the Cathode of a tube, but all other electrodes must be protected against inadmissible temperatures (transgression of  
the Anode load, insufficient heat discharge), to avoid grid emission , Gas eruption etc. In this respect, the maximum admissible Body temperature, as specified for special tubes by the manufacturer, is to be taken into account.  

Top of page  

3. Interlayer-free Special Cathode When tubes are operated, in heated condition, without Cathode current (Pulse-Mode), an Interlayerresistor arises within the Cathode, due to depletion of active layer.  

This Interlayer-Resistor, acts like an unshorted Cathode-Resistor and generates, particularly at low frequencies, an undesirable negative feedback, which is interfering especially in tubes with a high mutual conductance.  

Huh? I've never "toxicated" a cathode in my life - in face, I'm not sure creating a verb out of "toxic" in this manner is grammatical. Then there are those "transgressing" anode loads - perhaps they need "shock" boot camp. "Gas erruptions" - frijoles, of course!! Then there is this "interlayerresistor" - are we still talking about tubes, or even electronics? My best guess is poorly translated marketing fluff which has resulted in bullshit to the third power :) - got a term for this?  

GW

2/20/2001 8:47 PM
mod
email

My best guess is poorly translated marketing fluff which has resulted in bullshit to the third power got a term for this?  

i usually call that "crate" :D

2/20/2001 9:21 PM
Ray Ivers
email

GW,  

I think what they're trying to say is:  

1) Operating the cathode at reduced heat (i.e. low filament voltage) makes the cathode vulnerable to 'cathode poisoning' (the attraction to the cathode surface of unwanted contaminants released by the other tube electrodes and/or floating about in the imperfect vacuum of the tube). I'd have to go along with this.  

2) Too-high cathode temps can prematurely age and weaken the cathode coating, although initially tube output and measured specs may be greatly enhanced. I don't think the cathode coating would ever actually evaporate unless the temp was super-high and/or plate current draw was really excessive, though. If it did, the coating particles would migrate from the cathode to the plate, "toxicating" everything in their path - and the newly-coated control and screen grids might well start to emit electrons themselves (grid emission).  

3) The "interlayer resistor" refers to space charge build-up around the cathode during periods of zero plate current flow. Electrons are emitted, they travel a short distance and find no positively-charged electrode to be attracted to, they lose their negative charge, and then are attracted back to the cathode again. I don't know if I would call it 'negative feedback' per se, but maybe in a way it is...  

I Just finished (mostly) reading the R.D.H., and this is all from my memory and therefore really suspect. I think it's pretty close, though. I can imagine what I would come up with in German!  

Ray

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>