ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

EMG unwire

2/14/2001 4:24 PM
J. Brown
email
EMG unwire
I just picked up a great old Schecter strat  

that fits my unique requirements for strat-style  

guitars: mahogany body and stop tailpiece. But  

it as three single coil EMGS in it. I need to  

remove those an replace them with a bridge  

bucker and neck passive single coil. I have  

installed and removed normal single coils before  

what will different about removing three active  

single coils?  

J. Brown

2/14/2001 6:37 PM
David Warren
email

If I understand your question correctly, I can tell you that you will basically have to scrap all the controls (pots), except for the five-way selector switch, assuming a five-way is part of the wiring harness. The active EMG's use 25K-Ohm potentiometers. Most passive Strat pickups use 250K pots, or 500K if they are humbucking types. Some use 500K or 1 Meg pots anyway to get a brighter high-end response. Which value you need will depend on your choice of pickups. The wiring of the guitar is also a personal choice. There are links at this web site which list different Strat wiring schematics for passive pickups.

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/14/2001 7:54 PM
Doc
email

If your guitar has a snap connector for a 9-volt battery, then it's safe to assume you have the low impedance active pickups and lower resistance pots described above.  

EMG did produce a lower grade high impedance passive pickup (I think they are named "Select") that require no battery and use the regular 250k pots associated with most single coil pickups.  

I just wanted to make this clarification. In case you have the Select style pickups, you would only change out the 3 pickups, not the pots or switch wiring.

2/14/2001 9:56 PM
Ben
email

Some of those Select pickup uses the 9v battery snap also... at leats I saw some with it and my Hohner steinberger licensed has select with battery in it.  

On the subject of what was asked...  

I'd check at guitarnuts.com for a great wiring that you'd like and start from scratch... teh descriptions there are great and illustrated.

2/14/2001 11:12 PM
J. Brown
Thanks for the informative replies everyone!  

This is a great site.  

Hopefully I can sweeten the deal on this  

particular git by just letting the storeowner  

keep the EMGs (he thought they were Lace  

Senors eyes must be going bad)and having a blank  

body to work with. Torn between putting in a SD  

single-coil sized HB or just routing it for  

bridge bucker...leaning toward the latter there  

is something about the full size humbucker that  

the stacked ones just don't quite capture.  

J. Brown

Page 1 of 1