ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: What's Your Favorite El-84 Amp/Guitar Combination?

2/16/2001 1:19 PM
Stan Re: What's Your Favorite El-84 Amp/Guitar Combination?
I get a pretty decent sound from a strat thru a Crate VC-30 (4 Sovtek El-84s), only the clean channel though, it sings and chimes when you kick it past 2 and is plenty loud. I never thought I'd be extolling the virtues of a Crate, but it is a decent amp for the money...I tend to use it in conjunction with a '68 Deluxe Reverb, they go together well..

2/16/2001 7:13 PM
Jason
email

Stan,  

What an interesting combination. I always liked the Crate VC amps. A lot of amp for the dough. IMHO, this amp rivals some lesser boutique amps for the tone. As for your '68, a very good amp! Is she modded at all?  

Jason C. Arthur

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/16/2001 8:46 PM
Mark
email

a friend of mine has a 70s LP special with p100s that sounds un-freakin-believable through my AC15 Twin (2 twelves, not the reissue with tens). A Tele with Bardens through the same amp is great in a different way. You can get into the same zone using lower output pickups with a good pedal like the Centaur.  

A pair of EL84s working hard through 2 twelves is the shit !

2/16/2001 9:28 PM
Jason
email

Mark,  

That sounds KILLER! Two Twelves! Vox! Fifteen Watts Unleashing Hell! Mmmmmmm, Vox. Has it strangled any Super Reverbs Lately?  

Jason C. Arthur

2/16/2001 8:57 PM
Stan
Jason, the '68 isn't modded..yet! My repair guy said it's completely blackface inside...It seems to be pretty stock except for the vibrato disable I did last night..any easy mods you could suggest?

2/16/2001 9:31 PM
Jason
email

Stan,  

I like simplicity. Try out a .0022uF coupling cap from the second to third stage bright channel and/or .022uF from PI to Output Tubes. I like Mallory 150's. Read my other postings to you. You may really like this simple, reversible mod.  

Jason C. Arthur

2/16/2001 9:39 PM
anonymous
Stan,  

I almost forgot! Use a VERY good rectifier tube with your Deluxe(GZ-34/5AR4). Mullards are a bit pricey, but you will find it to be a very killer, simple mod. Try this out before doing anything else! I think you will agree.  

Jason C. Arthur

Page 1 of 1