ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

BEST SOUNDING DIGITAL AMPS??HELP!

2/13/2001 2:55 PM
FLEXMAN BEST SOUNDING DIGITAL AMPS??HELP!
i was wondering if anybody can offer any suggestion on a good sounding digital amp?  

so far there is LINE 6, but now yamaha dg stomp, tech 21 trademark amps,  

fender cyber twin, and marshall avt amps, and  

the johnson amps are out.. which one is the one to get?

2/13/2001 3:34 PM
Marlin
email

Of course, as you've probably heard a million times, there is no substitute for real tube amp warmth, response, harmonics, and TONE! I have to admit I do own a Line6 AxSys212. It is, IMHO, by far the best MODELING amp available. Not the best amp, though.  

This company started with this product, and have done their research pretty well. I do have the ORIGINAL version of this amp, and not  

the upgraded Ax2 version, which will be all you see now. It's a great amp, the tones are good enough, the effects are good enough, and it's loud enough(I've never cranked it past 10 o'clock on the volume in a live situation-ouch!). Notice I do say  

GOOD ENOUGH. If you've played with good tube amps before you get one of these--sooner or later you WILL crave a tube amp. You will eventually end up spending more money on a tube amp, and probably a good effect or two.  

I will probably never get rid of this thing, no matter what tube amp I buy next! I am looking forward to getting an upgrade to the AX2 version as soon as possible! It's got a Dumble model on it which sounds good to my ears, even though it doesn't hold a candle to a REAL DUMBLE! This amp is great for a working musician, and it simplifies your rig very well.  

I am about to buy a handmade, expensive,  

boutique tube amp. This Line 6 will make you spend more money down the road than ever before  

because you will want a well-made tube amp after having this for a while!  

The bottom line--tube amps will make you happier tone-wise. Nothing beats a good sounding tube amp. The Line 6 AX2 212 is good enough and will do the job for you. BUT, there is NO substitute for  

real tubes. I've used them both...  

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any  

questions about my Line6...  

-->Marlin

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/13/2001 3:45 PM
John
email

Flexman,  

Steer clear of the Johnson and the Tech 21.They're terible! Line 6 is much better than the Johnson.  

Don't let the one preamp tube thing in the Johnson fool you! You're better off having a solid state preamp driving a solid state power amp, than a tube preamp driving one! WHY? Tests have shown there is NO audible difference. Preamp tubes driving solid  

state power amps will just make you spend more money--not get better tone.  

Line 6 is the best digital amp I've heard so far, and it's a better buy. I use an AX2, and it's great!I still use my Fender Twin Reverb and Marshall Plexi more, but the AX2 has its place!  

Just my $.02!  

John

2/13/2001 9:53 PM
Stephen Conner
email
humbug
quote:
"You're better off having a solid state preamp driving a solid state power amp, than a tube preamp driving one! WHY? Tests have shown there is NO audible difference."

I've just built a small 3 watt SE tube amp. It sounds great through a 2x12" Marshall cab. When hooked up to a dummy load, and fed to the same cab via a solid-state power amp, it sounds about identical. To my ears, in fact, it sounds even better. I'm recording my results so that you guys can take the solid-state tone challenge too ;)  

Steve C

2/13/2001 4:07 PM
D. Davidson
email
Re: BEST SOUNDING DIGITAL AMPS??HELP!
I've played a good guitar through a  

Fender Squier 15 solid state amp, and  

it's clean tone beat the crap out of the  

digital amps! Get a Roland Jazz Chorus 120  

if you don't want tube amp!

2/13/2001 4:16 PM
Brain Tuba
email

You can get away with solid state or digital if you  

play jazz or country. You really don't need tubes  

if you play modern metal like Limp Bizkit (ugh! I don't know why those guys even feel like they need Mesa Boogies!) get a solid state amp for that metal stuff! For everything else a tube amp is the only way to go.

2/13/2001 4:27 PM
Marc
email

Digital amps. Don't waste your money. Save up, spend more, but don't waste your money on digital amps! If your sound is important, you'll make the sacrifice.  

Marc

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>