ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

valve preamp transformers

2/4/2001 12:31 AM
Jaunt
email
valve preamp transformers
after building ss stuff for years, i've been preparing to have a go at some valve stuff. the first project i want to build is the Hotbox.  

to get a xformer made for me, it's going to cost about US$60. i've found a cheap (US$7) xformer at Dick Smith's that i'm hoping will do the job, but i'd like someone to check my maths!  

it's rated 6.3-0-6.3 @ 500mA. if i run the filaments in series across the 12.6v, it looks ok to run two 12ax7's, they'd pull 300mA.  

if i put another xformer the same back-to-back, i'd end up with 240v (our mains voltage) again but no center tap. can i use the 0v from the filament system?  

then i can draw an extra 200mA @ 12.6V, which means i have about 10mA to use at 240V. from the voltage drops across the plate resistors, i've got each of the four stages idling between 0.5-1mA. it looks safe, but close.  

i'd also be running a B+ of about 170V instead of 250V. will this impact the sound a great deal - in other words, should i just spend the money on the custom xfmr?  

thanks for any help!  

:) darren

Page 1 of 1