ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

bad tube bad...

1/29/2001 6:00 PM
sev
email
bad tube bad...
the other night at a show i blew a fuse and had to use someone else's amp because i had no other fuse's.  

when i got home i looked at the amp and one of the tubes was ruined. (i use el-34's) also the tube socket was burnt (from arcing i am assuming). is it still safe to replace the tube and fuse without replacing the socket? and are there any suggestions to keep this from happening again. tube type? tricks? whatever?  

thanx

1/29/2001 6:09 PM
sev
email

I also forgot to add that the amp is a mesa boogie triple recto and i belive the sockets are made out of ceramic.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/29/2001 6:34 PM
Doc
email

A ceramic tube socket can sometimes be cleaned to remove any carbon deposits. If you can't clean the residue off, using a cloth, old toothbrush, maybe some solvent. If the carbon deposits don't come off, the socket will need replacing.  

What probably caused the problem was an internal tube failure.  

The socket needs to be clean, free from any conducting deposits, or you risk short circuit arcing and possibly more amp damage. Start with careful wiping with a dry cloth. Then try a dry toothbrush followed by dry cloth. After most of the soot is removed, try dampening with a non-lubricating contact cleaning solvent and scrubbing/wiping some more. Cotton swabs may be helpful down in crevices.  

If you're new at this and can't do the work yet yourself, take the amp to an experienced tech of known reputation. Someone who is authorized to do Mesa repairs is usually (but not always) a good prospect. These amps are a bit complicated and they cram a lot of stuff into a small space, which increses the servicing difficulty level, even for experienced techs.  

Doc

Page 1 of 1