ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

JMF Spectra 212-7

1/21/2001 5:43 PM
Red G.
email
JMF Spectra 212-7
Hi everyone.. I got a JMF Spectra 212-7 amp about a month ago, and I can't find any info about it anywhere.. I've searched the net for hours and hours only to come up empty handed.. The only thing I know about this amp is that it's LOUD and it's an old tube amp.. I'd appreciate any info that anyone has.. Thanx in advance.

1/21/2001 7:03 PM
Lee
email

Hi:  

I used the Spectra 60 1x12 for 3 years. (Your amp's little brother. My buddy bought the 2x12 Spectra the same day I bought the 1x12.) It was a nice small club gig amp built by Dean Markley under the Spectra name (early 80s). Mine was a 3x 12AX7 pre-amp and 2x 6L6 output Channel Swithcer. It sounded like crap until I replaced the Pyle(of$hit) speaker with an EV Force12. It really came alive then. I never looked to see how the amp was biased ... I didn't know how at the time, but I remember that it ran so HOT temp. wise, that the output tubes actually turned grayish-black ... it still works though, my brother-in-law has it now & he loves to crank it up to bother his neighbors ... yes it is a loud amp! It was also a pretty thin sounding amp, but that seemed to work very well, since I was playing in a six piece band at the time & it cut through their "orchestrated mayhem" pretty well!  

FWIW  

Lee

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/21/2001 8:56 PM
Red G.
email

Thanx for the info, Lee. This one seems to have a pretty good low end to it. I usually play my ESP M-107 7 string through it, and it sounds pretty good, as far as not rattling like the little Lainey amp I have. But, I have to admit, the reverb isn't as good as the dual spring in my little Squier Champ. Oh, I have another question about this amp.. Well actually several.. How do the Gain and Master on Lead work, and the 120/60 switch, and the POL switch.. This is my first tube amp (other 2 were solid-state), and I don't really know much about tube amps at all... Except that they sound excellent :) Thanks again for the info.

1/21/2001 10:03 PM
Lee
email

I hope I can answer your questions, but I have to make a couple of disclaimers:  

#1 I haven't played that amp since late 80's so I hope I remember correctly.  

#2 Those amps were good but I do remember that no two sounded the same ... (i.e. quality control must have been lousy!)  

Now:  

Gain & Master: I don't remember, but I think the gain controls the amount of gain into pre-amp that runs the overdrive channel. The master controlled the over-all level of the overdrive channel of the amp ... somesuch idea, anyway ...  

120/60 Switch: supposedly gave 1/2 power option. It was supposed to cut out two of the power tubes, (I didn't have that switch on mine.) I believe that amp was rated at 120/60 watts depending on this switch setting.  

POL switch: Don't remember ... ("Pull Out Last, Put Out Lights???") ;)  

The 2x12 speaker will give you more bottom, but if they're the old Pyle stock speakers, I'd give 'em the boot and use anything good like JBL or EV and you'll not believe what this amp can do. For a cheapy, It made me a lot of giggin' money for quite a while, and kept up with the other guy's & their big name amps 'til I could afford my big name stuff, too ... (They called mine the "Booger" ???)  

I would have a qualified tech look at it for you and bias it correctly. I think this amp had a lot of potential for a cheapy!  

Hope This Helps Some!  

Lee

Page 1 of 1