ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

EL34/6CA7 for 50W Super Lead

1/20/2001 8:54 PM
Sean Weatherford
email
EL34/6CA7 for 50W Super Lead
Hello All,  

A friend of mine has asked me to help him retube his Marshall Super Lead (50W). He wanted me to add a gain stage =:-o but I have talked him out of it. :) I need some input regarding current production EL34/6CA7. Does anyone currently make a 6CA7 that truly is a beam tetrode as opposed to the EL34 pentode?  

He currently has Sovtek EL34's and 12AX7's. I'm going to give hime some of my Telefunken 12AX7's for the preamp, but I need some power tube advice. I have NO experience with the EL34/6CA7. Never been a Marshall man.  

I'm interested in the Yugo 6CA7, the Svetlana EL34 and perhaps the new Electro-Harmonix EL34EH tube.  

TIA  

Sean Weatherford  

Central, SC  

seanw@innova.net

1/21/2001 2:14 AM
Dai Hirokawa
email

I think the Ei(Yugo) 6CA7 is a beam type. And their "KT77" or "EL34" also(whatever they are marking them w/also looked like a beam tube). I've seen a Ei 6CA7 and Ei KT77 side by side, and the KT77 had a skinnier bottle, full base, and a nipple on top. Have never tried these in my Marshall, however. I think Sovtek used to offer a 6CA7 which sort of looked like a "fat bottle" American 6CA7. The ones I saw looked pretty sloppily built, though(a small rectangular piece that should have been punched out of the plate was still dangling on("hanging chad"? Oh no!).  

p.s. I personally like Svetlana EL34s in my Marshall. Good cost/performance.  

Dai Hirokawa

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/22/2001 5:49 AM
Rebel420
email

not sure if the RUBY STR-EL#$B is a beam type, but it's supposed to be a clone of the Sylvana 6ca7, which IS a beam type... they do sound pretty damn close to the Sylvanias if you ask me!

Page 1 of 1