ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Who is Lee Jackson?

1/11/2001 7:32 PM
Mark
email
Re: Who is Lee Jackson?
I owned a Lee Jackson Marshall. It sounded awesome when I could keep it together. It blew 2 OTs in six months and I gave it to our soundguy for free. I've heard all kinds of Lee Jackson horror stories like mine. I think he went into hiding because of all the guys that would like to kick his ass.

1/11/2001 8:34 PM
Per
email

Thank you guys for the info. So maybe he isn't ãTHE ampguruä at all!  

Cheers  

Per

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/12/2001 2:43 AM
Mitch
email

I Per,  

I talked with Lee back in 1998 when he had moved to Austin, Tx and he was real cool about giving amp info to me when I asked questions. If you want to hear what his amps sounded like back in the 80s go buy a album called (Eat em and smile) by David Lee Roth and Steve Via played a marshall modified amp for that album. Steves tones were pretty awsome on that album. I believe that Lee got fed up with the L.A. scene and amp companies that shafted him so he left. He did have a big hit in the early 90s with a crate amp he designed called The Stealth which sounded cool for that time. I liked that amp much better than the ampeg amps he designed. The ampeg 501 is basically a marshall jcm800 with an extra gain stage. Lee did have some horror stories about him but who can really say whats what since some guys are so abusive to their amps that they damage them and blame lee for the amp blowing up. Tube amps are tough but you cant slam em around like transistor amps.  

Cheers

1/15/2001 1:48 AM
GouxMan
email

I met Lee when he worked for Paul Rivera. After Paul went to work for Fender, Lee did alot of repairs and some mods for me on small amps. He always did a great job, and I still own some of the amps. I heard his Marshall mods and they were pretty scary, but I never owned one. Many of the 80's metal guys used his stuff. I have no idea where he is today. G

Page 1 of 1