ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

What's this static?

11/23/2000 10:27 PM
TSM
email
What's this static?
Hey all,  

I got a real problem here, since I am new to the tubew amp world I kinda need to ask for help. My Mesa Tremoverb Combo has just recently started making a kind of crackling like static sound in both channels...in all modes...sometimes its more pronounced in a different mode or channel, but its still there. I changed out the 12AX7 driver tube that is operational in all modes. When I changed the tube, the crackling niose wasnt there for about 15 seconds, then came back...I dont know if this is becaise of the power tubes warming up or what. Can you all please help me out?.......Any help would be much appreciated.  

TSM

11/24/2000 1:12 AM
Steve A.
email

TSM:  

Does it make the static all of the time or just for the first minute or two after you power up the amp? Do you let the amp warm up in Standby?  

Both channels, both modes... it could be the power tubes, too.  

--Good luck!  

Steve Ahola

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/24/2000 7:24 AM
TSM
email

It seems like it goes awy after playing for a few minutes or so....and yes I do start up in standby and wait about 45secs to a min to power up. I am new to owning a tube amp, the company manual says at least 30 secs. What do you think?  

TSM

Page 1 of 1