ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Light at the end of the tunnel...

11/23/2000 6:14 PM
Ian Anderson
email
Light at the end of the tunnel...
Okay, I've got it working now with the help of a few people via email (you know who you are), so here goes...  

B+ = 593  

Vp = 593  

Vg1 = -55  

Vg2 = 592  

The resistor between the rectifier diodes and first filter cap was burnt out, so I've put a 22ohm/17W one in there as suggested. Would the value of this resistor cause these high voltages, or not?  

This amp is for *bass use* so tight, clean bass is the goal. Would 6550's be a good option?  

It sounds great as it is with EL34's, but I wanted to run it all by you guys first as I'm still a novice at this game.  

... Ian :D

11/24/2000 5:43 PM
Eric H
email

Ian, take a look at Bruces reply to "ohms law ques." a couple of threads up --it might help. FWIW I think 22 ohms is too small.  

-Eric

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/24/2000 6:03 PM
Ian Anderson
email

Eric,  

The original 'burnt' resistor measured 24.5ohms - a value of 22ohms was suggested by someone else, so I thought that it was more than a coincidence that they would be so similar.  

Have you looked at my drawing to see where the resistor is in the circuit?  

What value do you think is more apropriate?  

It certainly couldn't harm to drop the voltages a bit... 592v on the screens.  

Cheers... Ian :)

11/25/2000 2:07 PM
Liam
email

Trouble with going "big" on this resistor is as follows. Lets say with the amp flat out it draws 300 mA at 590 volts from the HT supply. Then you say you want to drop about 100 volts. That means you need a resistor of 333 ohms. However this resistor needs to dissipate P = I x V = 0.3 x 100 = 30 watts. That's a big resistor.  

But then consider what happens at idle. The HT supply may only be drawing 130 mA. That means the resistor only drops 43 volts, so you end up with a huge variation in B+ (meaning the bias point will walk all over the place while you're playing), as well as what will basically be a 30 watt heater inside your amp, which is something you can do without, especially so close to the filter caps.  

If you want to drop some B+ I believe there are some Zener diode tricks that work, but I can't find them! Anyone?:)  

Liam

11/25/2000 4:03 PM
Eric H
email

quote:
"The original 'burnt' resistor measured 24.5ohms - a value of 22ohms was suggested by someone else, so I thought that it was more than a coincidence that they would be so similar."

Ian, this part of the thread appears to be gone.  

I was guessing the resistor was a kludge to drop B+ --which is why I suggested a higher value. A 5cm resistor might handle 30 watts (as pointed out by liam). I have a 220ohm 50 watt that's about that long (one of those gold-anodized aluminum jobs). I think Liams correct, that it isn't the way to go --in any event, and a string of zeners makes more sense.  

-Eric

Page 1 of 1