ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Any one tested JJ tubes?

11/4/2000 4:25 AM
Peter S
email
Re: Any one tested JJ tubes?
EDGAR,  
Tesla, JJ, Teslovak, whatever you wish to call them....they are all the same tubes......these tubes are excellent!  

Peter

11/4/2000 9:41 AM
PeteR
email
Tesla, JJ, Teslovak - who is EI ?
Is EI one of the above or another entity altogether?  
Also the local distributor of LCR (50+50/32+32types) says that they are no longer available/no longer being made. Has anybody else heard this? (He said it was something to do with the Gel and environmental problems. BS?)  
Many thanks,  
PeteR :)

11/4/2000 9:51 AM
Randall Aiken
email

Yes, LCR has been discontinued for quite some time now. Any distributor selling them is selling old stock. As long as they aren't more than a few years old, they should be okay. Electrolytics do have a limited shelf life, but it is quite a few years, usually.  

Elna discontinued their Cerafine dual 50uF/500V as well. That was a great cap, I hate to see them go.  

Randall Aiken

11/4/2000 10:28 AM
PeteR
email

No more LCR? Bugger!  
Ok, has anybody had anything to do with "Jamicon" electro's especially the 105 degree jobs? From what I've read they seem ok, but there is no info on the finer detail(ESR etc)  
Thanks,  
PS - Randall, I'll get to the backbiased bridge thing this week. Pete.

11/4/2000 3:07 PM
EDGAR
email

PeteR.  
EI is, or was, made i Yuogoslavia, not Slovakia as Tesla/JJ. I don't think they have any connection!  
Some info says that the EI factory was bombed during the Nato-bombings last year. I don't know for sure. Anyway there's quite a chaos in that country, but it seems as it's going to be better with a new regime, so maybe the EI is coming back.  

Randall! (Thanks for the comments!)  
Slovakia is NOT in a war zone! Tjeckoslovakia was piecefully splitted into Tjeckia and Slovakia, I think in the beginning of the 90's.  
Have you looked at the Eurotubes' site? Maybe you can get a good price from him?  

He doesn't have any JJ caps on his site, but maybe he has them anyway, or can get them?  

Redards  
"Edgar"

11/4/2000 7:15 PM
Randall Aiken
email

Oops! My aplogies to all the Slovakians out there! I was confusing them with the Ei factory! That's comforting to know, then - we should have a good supply of the excellent JJ/Tesla tubes for a long time to come!  

I haven't seen the Eurotubes site - I'll have to go look for it. I suspect it will be hard to beat the direct price, but when you add shipping and possible customs fees (?), it may be a wash.  

I don't want the JJ caps, thank you - they are too small! My pick for LCR replacement is the ARS - it is the same size as an LCR, and almost the same blue color! Here is a picture of one: http://www.aikenamps.com/ARScap.jpg  

Randall Aiken

11/5/2000 12:14 PM
PeteR
email

Hey Randall,  
Where do you get those ARS caps from? Couldn't find them in the usual places. By the way, have a look at www.faradnet.com Interesting specs and stuff.  
Thanks,  

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>