ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Favourite budget 6L6

10/26/2000 11:00 AM
Naked Clarke
email
In my opinion, two months is not a long time in the amp world even for repairs, much less for having one built. If you are a Pre-CBS Fender guy then you know they used a lot of RCA tubes. They sound great and one person already mentioned that they will last for years. If you like Pre CBS Fender sound then buy the Weber speakers because they are the closest thing to old Jensens out there. I know, you have your reasons but I love mine. I just can't figure out why you are sweating $100 on tube choice if you can spend up to $3,000 on an amp.  

NC

10/26/2000 8:11 PM
Shea
email

I can't figure out why you're sweating Weber's prices either. They're very reasonable! I can't think of any less expensive speakers that would satisfy a pre-CBS fanatic. C'mon, you're not gonna put Eminences in there, are you?  

Shea

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/26/2000 9:52 PM
ED
email

WAIT, hold the phone! 1st,I'm not spending 3K for this amp. 2nd, I'm NOT sweating Webers' prices. My reasons for not chosing Weber do not include the price/quality/sound. But since you mentioned it,I'm only getting 1 "cloned" spkr. The other is the real deal-Celestion. The clone may only last a week. It's a Mojo,that happened to be included w/the price.But it was my choice/particular model. No Eminence or Jensens-NO WAY. It's not that I am a pre CBS fanatic,more like there's NO need to spend 3K for a "boutique" amp. I want certain responses from my amp. But why spend, what, 1500-2000 for a pre, when I can have a totally new and reliable/lifetime warranty combo w/the 2 circuits I prefer in an amp,inc all the extra rectifier tubes,2 sets of NOS power tubes,1 Celestion for LESS than 1400? Also,yes its been 2 months into the amp.The wiring has just begun. I figure another month. Does anyone really think,BELIEVE that the "boutique" makers are taking a month to build 1 amp?!?! If so, maybe that's why they charge an arm and a finger for those things!No way they'd make $$ if that's the case. I still can't believe how "cheap" my amp is costing. BUT, this was to be a question on a 6L6 choice. I take it that you 2 think the RCAs' are worth the cost,for the tone. THANX. Check out Fargen amplification/reviews on Harmony Central. We're already discussing a 30 watt Plexi head. Thanx for the replies! Ed

10/26/2000 11:09 PM
Ray Ivers
email
Eminence speakers
Ed, Shea,  

I don't have much experience with the lower-line Eminence Legend series speakers, but I've found that the Eminence Delta Pro, Gamma, and Kappa lines of speakers are very high quality and (to me) sound great; I've gotten both the 10" and 12" of each, when available. I'm not looking for speaker breakup - none of these speakers will deliver that at any kind of reasonable volume - but at the last two N.A.M.M. shows I've checked out everything Eminence makes now, and I've come away pretty impressed for the most part. In fact, I have a prediction to make; I think Eminence is going to continue to make strong inroads into Celestion's market share in the next few years. Eminence speakers are no longer the crap they once were; this is why VHT and many other amp makers are using Eminence now, with more surely to follow. Maybe they still make some cheapos, but they also make a bunch of really nice speakers, too. I used to feel exactly the way you guys seem to about Eminence, but not any more.  

Ray Ivers

10/27/2000 12:06 AM
ED
email

That's great, if true. With Eminences' history, I'll wait to "see it to believe it". Eminence made the spkr I had in my Soldano Atomic 16. There were problems. They knew it, I knew it. Went to a Vintage 30. (me).Soldano tried to go/w Celestion,but Marshall cried sooo much, they backed down.Celestion that is. In 30+ years of being involved w/ music,the only spkrs "I" trust are Celestion and EV-SRO's,even though I'm gonna try a Mojo! To bad they don't make SRO's any more. Unfortunetally,the NAMM show in Detroit SUCKED,(no-one there)and Phoenix doesn't rate a NAMM show.Go figure,the 7th largest city in the country!! Thanx for the info,Ed

10/27/2000 1:23 PM
Shea
email

I really don't think Eminences are bad. I just used them as an example of inexpensive and generic. Actually, in my Twin I'm running a Mojo (which I hear is made by Eminence), and another speaker without a label that looks exactly the same as the Mojo, so I assume it's an Eminence. I say Eminences are good enough to get the job done without embarassment, they just don't put icing on the cake. The Chevy of speakers?  

Really, it's nice to be able to say, "Hmmm, while I'm out running errands, I need another 50-watt 12" . . . Yup, got two twenties in my wallet & a few ones . . . Hey, give me one of those mojos, yeah the 12."  

Shea

10/26/2000 9:54 PM
ED
email
BTW, I'm leaning towards the Visseau, which he can't seem to locate. I know where to get them, but I wanted him to test them in my amp 1st. BUT I'm open to suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>