ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

audible difference?

10/21/2000 2:00 PM
Jered
email
audible difference?
Hi, I'm just curious about a comment made at the M and G amp site:  
http://www.mandgamplification.com/amp_mikes.htm  
You guys seem to be the pro's around here and there is always very knowledable insight here.  
I'm curious about the "HI END PARTS DO NOT MAKE AN AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE" comment.  
Aron posted this at his forum, but you guys rule the amp world so I had to ask here at Ampage.  
Take care, Jered

10/21/2000 2:21 PM
Bruce
email

One of the things Mike didn't mention is, even though this experimental "high end parts amp" used very expensive, high end HI-FI parts, his regular production amps still use good parts and there is no junk in them.  
I think he was trying to make the point that in a guitar amp, those outrageously expensive coupling and power supply caps from the HI-FI world are not worth the trouble nor the expense while the common available power supply caps and inexpensive polypropylene caps are worth it and sound great.  
Bruce

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/21/2000 3:27 PM
KBULL
email

After experimenting with these caps I agree as well and those Solens that he was using aren't even the big ones. Those 100uf ones will engulf your chassis and trying to fit chokes and any extras you may have on one of those type chassis he was using is just almost imposible and frustrating as well. Did you also notice that he went to a dual choke input over the CL pi supply to drop the unwanted voltage instead of doing the series resistor drop or Zener Back Bias method that was discussed a few threads ago on here. I think he has a great point and I wish it wiuldn't have cost me as much to find out as well. I am not saying that the Solens suck are there not good caps because they are. If you use them, be prepared to build a chassis suited for their size .,  
KB

Page 1 of 1