ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Other sources for chassis?

1/4/2001 2:52 PM
Paul Gosselin
email
Other sources for chassis?
Hey Guys,  

Besides Hammond, who else makes reasonably-priced steel or aluminum chassis that can be used in amp construction?  

What I'm looking for is something 17" X 8" X 2". Unfortunately, Hammond doesn't make anything that size.  

Thanks.

1/4/2001 3:42 PM
Bruce
email

I might have a few light weight, generic chassis close to that size.  

Try http://www.tubesandmore.com too  

Bruce

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/4/2001 6:59 PM
Andrew M
email

Hammond does make a 16" x 8" x 2" chassis in steel and aluminum. Do you need that exact size?  

Andrew.

1/4/2001 7:21 PM
Casey4s
email

AES at the link that Bruce supplied also has some aluminum chassis made by some other manufacturer in a 17x8x2 for $16.00 AES part number P-H120. I have used a couple of these myself and they are just as sturdy as the Hammond (I have used Hammonds too). Hammond also has a 17x10x3 but that is kinda big.  

Good Luck,  

Casey4s

1/4/2001 11:07 PM
Paul Gosselin
email

Yeah, I just got the AES catalog at home and saw it. It looked promising. However, that particular chassis doesn't come with a baseplate.  

What did you use for the baseplate on yours?  

FYI I'm building my amp in an old Mesa/Boogie combo cabinet. That's why the particular dimensions. Maybe I could go a little smaller on the width and just hide the difference behind a faceplate. But I'd like to keept it as close as possible to what Boogie put in there.  

Paul

1/5/2001 12:21 AM
Casey4s
email

Paul,  

By baseplate I assume you mean the "cover plate". I used one of these chassis (actualy a 17X7 that they no longer have)in a DIY Tweed Bassman clone, so I used the same brass stock I made the faceplate from. But you could always get a Hammond 17x10 cover and just trim it to fit. For most amps, you really don't need to have one. A couple of my amps have and a couple don't.  

Casey4s

1/5/2001 5:27 PM
Paul Gosselin
email

Yes, I meant cover plate.  

Actually, in my case, I have to have one. The controls are on the front of the amp. So that means the chassis is not mounted upright as in a tweed amp. So where the cover plate is is where I would have to mount the tube sockets.  

I think trimmimg the Hammond cover makes the most sense. Thanks.  

Paul

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>