ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

first home brew

10/30/2000 3:11 PM
mike
email
first home brew
I am going to build a Deluxe type as my first amp  

I play blues and like the smooth distortion  

at a rather low volume since most places I  

play are small.I also use a clean tone alot  

so thought the Deluxe at 30 or 40 watts  

would work out good.  

Any suggestions as to what Deluxe shcematic and layout would best suit my needs?Any other suggestions would be welcome.  

TIA

10/30/2000 3:25 PM
coldfeet
email

Mike  

A buddy of mine gigs with a brown deluxe.('62?) Anyway it sounds great. I borrowed it for a couple of gigs of my own and it was really nice. I imagine in a medium size club you might start to struggle for enough volume. You're not gonna be able to get a clean tone at gigging levels.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/30/2000 3:58 PM
mike
email

I thought if I stayed close to the 40 watts I  

might be able to get a clean tone at gigs.I had a Hot Rod DeVille at 60 watts and it was to much for small clubs.I now have a JCM 2000 Marshall which is way to much but I love the clean tone.I kind of miss  

the Fender distortion.I'm not as fond of the Marshall gain.

10/30/2000 4:16 PM
Bruce
email

Just build the Tweed Deluxe or Tweed Tremolux with bigger transformers and use 6L6s.  

You'll get about 30w-36w output.  

You'll NEVER hear the difference between 30 watts and 40 watts.  

Bruce

10/30/2000 5:20 PM
mike
email

Thanks Bruce.That sounds like a winner to me.  

Any good sights with more than just the layout and schematics?I have worked on amps but this is the first build from scratch.

10/30/2000 8:10 PM
Richie{~}==:::
email

Another good one to build would be the Fender Pro Jr. And as Bruce said.. use bigger transformers and whatever tubes you like.  

Richie{~}==:::

10/31/2000 4:48 AM
Bruce
email

Go over to http://www.WeberVST.com and look for chassis kits.  

You can use a tweed Deluxe 5e3 chassis kit.  

You have to supply all the parts including transformers, so just use bigger, 30-50 watt trannies and two 6L6s!  

Works great.  

Bruce

Page 1 of 1