ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re:Hey Doug- new Tone Stack

12/19/2000 4:55 PM
Ed Rembold
email
Re:Hey Doug- new Tone Stack
Hey Doug,  

I can't wait to try the new tone stack, it'll  

have to wait until after Christmas though, (sigh)  

I have a question if I may, What is the dc voltage  

at the source pin of J5?  

And is there no resistor or dc blocking cap  

at the input of J5?  

Thanks Ed R.

12/19/2000 5:38 PM
Jake
email

Looks great, Doug! For the life of me, I can't figure out that tone stack. But I'll give it a try. I might add a boost switch as shown on the MBM-6 mods. I think that work work very well with higher voltage.  

Thanks!  

Jake

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/19/2000 10:16 PM
Doug H
email

Thanks for the comments, Jake.;)  

Just think of it as a 2 knob tone stack with the Lo knob missing.  

Doug

12/19/2000 10:09 PM
Doug H
email

Ed,  

I haven't measured the voltage at J5 source. There's no blocking cap or resistor - it's directly coupled and it works. In rough terms, I figure the J4 drain should be swinging between 0 and 16V and J5 can handle 0 to 33, so there should be no problem.  

Doug

12/20/2000 3:31 AM
Ed Rembold
email

But, could you though, please. (B+ at J5 source pin)  

I won't get any more breadboard time till  

after Christmas.  

Thanks,Doug.  

Ed R.

12/20/2000 12:58 PM
Doug H
email

Ed,  

I'll try to if I get a chance. I'm running into the Christmas rush here too.  

Doug

Page 1 of 1