ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: SPLAT!

11/29/2000 1:32 PM
Doug H
email
Re: SPLAT!
To convert the BBQ to a "~SB3":  

Pull R4 and C3. Change C2 to 1uf (Verify this with the SB3 schematic, I'm not completely sure). Change C4 to around 250pf. Change C9 to .01uf. And remember to remove C11.  

This will give you an SB3 with the BBQ tone control instead of the big muff tone control Aron used on the SB3. If you need more highs tweak C10-try around .0033uf.  

Doug

11/29/2000 1:47 PM
Bill
email

Thanks very much I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I hope these questions I keep dragging up aren't annoying.

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/29/2000 2:34 PM
Mark Hammer
email

"I hope these questions I keep dragging up aren't annoying."  

Not at all. They're quite germane, and something that appeals and applies to a lot of players. One just wishes their were an intelligent genie that could read postings like yours and direct them instantaneously to an appropriate FAQ document so you wouldn't have to wait for people to reply, duke it out, and finally agree.  

If you've ever taught the same material for a couple of consecutive years, you'll be familiar with the experience of getting a little ruffled and subvocally muttering "Didn't you guys remember ANYTHING I taught you!", only micromoments before you remember that, much like last year's class, this year's are also newbies. If it's a good question, it will keep coming up again and again.

11/29/2000 2:36 PM
Eric H
email

Bill, I built a SB4 around a year ago, and made mods that put it between Aron's (SB3) and Doug's. Like Doug, I found the 1uf cap in the SB3 opamp loop too large, mine is switchable between .22uf and .047uf.  

I have 220p across the opamp loop. No bypass cap on the source of the booster. I used the simple treble-rolloff tone-control on the SB4.  

I have no trim control on the source of the booster, but have a 1meg gain control replacing the 1meg resistor (r9) on the gate of the bottom jfet (wired as a voltage- divider: signal into top leg of pot, ground to other end-leg, and wiper to gate of booster). This is a very useful addition --suggested by Jack Orman.  

I generally use this effect set at low gain (with a Fendery low-volume amp --I back-up an acoustic singer/guitarist), so light picking is almost clean, and heavier picking blossoms into a very convincing Marshall-like crunch --when I pick very hard on the higher strings, harmonics jump out and it CUTS. This pedal responds better to picking dynamics than anything else I've used, and is worth fine-tuning to your setup. The only negative with mine is a slightly ragged release of the distortion when it tails off --which I think is the result of using it at the threshold of the diode clippers, but I'm just picking nits here.  

Do the mods Doug suggests (very similar to mine) and try Arons Big-Muff tone control.  

Hope this helps,  

-Eric

11/29/2000 3:59 PM
Doug H
email

quote:
"I generally use this effect set at low gain (with a Fendery low-volume amp --I back-up an acoustic singer/guitarist), so light picking is almost clean, and heavier picking blossoms into a very convincing Marshall-like crunch --when I pick very hard on the higher strings, harmonics jump out and it CUTS."

Eric, I've used my SB4 for the same kind of thing. Low gain with my little Electar amp backing up acoustic guitar players and singers, drums and bass.  
Turned my guitar vol down for clean/semi-clean "acoustic guitar chords" then cranked it back up for real responsive soloing. Gave a real "roots-rock" vibe to the proceedings-the slightly dirty electric mixed with acoustics was nice. The dynamics and headroom are pretty amazing for a pedal. Yes, there was some splat but it wasn't noticeable in a live situation.  

I like your use of the voltage divider. Got something on the breadboard right now where I've tried that sort of thing on the input for taming hot pickups. I think I will start installing trimpots there.  

Doug

Page 1 of 1