ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Resistors?

11/9/2000 3:28 AM
Confuzzed Resistors?
Does anyone know a mouser part number for single resistors from Mouser? I am not interested in buying bulk, and it is confusing to me, because I am new at this. Also, what are the proper kind? Carbon?  
Thanks.

11/9/2000 3:32 AM
Morgan
it is  

291-Value  

and example is if you want a 1.2K resistor it is  

291-1.2K  

These are 5% Carbone film and what i recomend  
they are .07 each up to 200

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/9/2000 4:04 AM
Confuzzed
291-value saysmust be ordered in quantities of 10.

11/9/2000 10:31 AM
zachary vex
hmm. perhaps a visit to radio shack would make more sense. shipping is just a waste of money when you order single resistors.  

zachary vex

11/9/2000 11:44 AM
Confuzzed
Radio shack has a limited supply. They don't have some of the values that I need.

11/9/2000 3:18 PM
Steve Daniels
email

>>Radio shack has a limited supply. They don't have some of the values that I need.  

That's why I established the stock list. You can find MOST of the "staples" you need for pedal building in one place, and pay one shipping charge. I have ALL of the resistor values on the Mouser list, but I charge $ .10 each (same as RS) to help cover costs. Compare the prices for the other stuff on the stock list with Mouser, and I think you'll find that, overall, you'll save money shopping on my site.  

I don't have chips yet, but that will happen...

11/9/2000 5:37 PM
Mark Hammer
email

Check the fine print on the back of some of those "variety packs" of resistors they sell. You'd be surprised how diverse they can be. Also bear in mind that, in a pinch, you can sub paralleled or series'd values for the value you actually want (e.g., two 2.4k in parallel for a 1.2k). It can make for a pretty pudgy board, but a few subs here and there are usually no big deal.  

Even if you think you only need a few right now, you'd be surprised how often you'll end up needing some of the standard values like 10k, 47k, 100k, 1meg. If all your local industrial electronics place sells is packs of 100 of these, spring for them (as long as the price comes out to less then 10 cents a resistor).  

Finally, when it's garbage day in your neighbourhood, keep an eye out for those abandoned VCR's and castoff 8-track players. I often end up finding my "weird" value components having come from there. ;)

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>