ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

2 pics of my "feeble attempts" at making pedals :)

10/9/2000 7:09 PM
Johnathan Foy
email
2 pics of my "feeble attempts" at making pedals :)
here are 2 pics of 2 pedals i made...one being a basic fuzz and the other is an amz switchbox w/ led indicators...as i'm sure you'll see my painting and labeling aren't too great! :)  

anyways here is what they look like...  

warning...the pics are rather large and i apologize for that...i scanned them on my scanner seeing i don't have a digital camera yet...  

fuzz ---->  

http://www.geocities.com/bleachyboy/fuzzpedpic.jpg  

switchbox (which looks better imho) --->  

http://www.geocities.com/bleachyboy/abboxpic.jpg  

Johnathan Foy

10/9/2000 7:33 PM
Distortionfreak
Yes, the pics are a little large but they look good to me.

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/9/2000 7:34 PM
Mark Vitek
email

They look awesome - are those electrical junction  
boxes?

10/9/2000 10:19 PM
Johnathan Foy
email

yeah those are RACO junction boxes i got at LOWES hardware store...a pain in but sorta to drill but work great! :)  

Johnathan Foy

10/9/2000 10:27 PM
Johnathan Foy
email
cleaning the junction boxes
i forgot to mention my "process" painting these...  

ok first of all i use this stuff called Bar Keeper's friend..it cleans porcelain, copper (GREAT for cleaning pcb's), steel, and etc...  

well of course junction boxes are steel...and it seems they have this funky oily residue and the junction box flakes little piecs of steel off...not large but really small flakes...  

but i use this to clean it...it kinda preps it..but then i sand it...then i use the Bar Keeper's Friend stuff again...then dry it off of course then spray w/ primer about 2 coats...then whatever color of paint you want...  

take this advice if nothing else...you can tell a HUGE difference between the cheap paint and the good stuff like krylon or rustoleum (rustoleum having the best results)  

i'll have to try to rustoleum primers too maybe i'll get a better finish...  

i hear several varying opinions on this but...those who use the old toaster oven to "bake" the paint on your pedals do you do this when the paint is still we, when it's dry to the touch or what?  

just curious as to how you did this...  

Johnathan Foy

10/9/2000 10:57 PM
Jake
email

I bake the paint right away for about an hour at about 150f.  

Some colors, like yellow, have better results than others of the same make! I've had everthing from amazingly smooth and professional looking surfaces to the pits.  

Jake

10/9/2000 11:41 PM
Pete
email

Johnathan  

Auto paint works well. You can get it in just about any colour imaginable and they come in small tins. You could do that many effects boxes with the one colour I don't think you'd run out for a long time with a small can  

And the pain is fairly good quality (hey, they use it on cars)!  

Pete

Page 1 of 1