ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

hotbox Question

12/10/2000 7:38 AM
Morgan hotbox Question
according to the schematic at  

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Library/1355/hotbox.jpg  

Does the 6.3VDC after the "Diamond" shaped rectifier go to the heaters of the tube?  

Thanks  

Morgan Miller

12/10/2000 3:30 PM
Eric H
email

[QUOTE]Does the 6.3VDC after the "Diamond" shaped rectifier go to the heaters of the tube?  

[/QUOTE]  

Yes.  

If that is rectified off a 6.3v ac tap it'll be higher that 6.3 voltsDC --you'll probably need to drop it with resistors, or, better yet, use a 6v regulator.  

-Eric

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/10/2000 4:31 PM
Morgan a couple more questions
According to this schematic i need a .22 uf and .1 uf electrolytic capacitor. Where am i suspose to find these?  

I have seen another hotbox schematic that doesn't show these as electrolytics. Think it will work with normal ones?  

Then for the tube heaters do i run the 6.3VDC into the 4 and 5 pins and groung the 9 pin?  

Thanks

12/10/2000 8:09 PM
Frank Clarke
email

They don't have to be electrolytics. So, will your heaters be in parallel?

12/11/2000 12:12 AM
Morgan
I need to know if i am suspose to ground the number 9 pin.

12/11/2000 2:54 PM
Scott Swartz
email

Yes, pin 9 will be grounded, and 4 & 5 to the 6.3 VDC.  

For the lowest hum you will want to use correct star ground practice, ie don't ground pin 9 to the chassis at the socket. The negative wire of the filament pair should connect to the junction of the filter cap and the bridge rectifier, then run a wire from that junction to the power supply star ground.  

Read up on star grounding if you're not sure what I'm talking about because correct grounding is very important in a tube pedal because of the low signal voltages.  

You may still get a hum from the third prong of the AC power cord, which can be eliminated by transformer coupling out of the pedal. This is a better solution than using a 3 to 2 prong adapter on the AC cord, which of course defeats the safety ground.

Page 1 of 1